Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE


Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Disability Insurance Forum

Reply to Long Term Disability     
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #11
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts:6,184
State: scagnt83 is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
scagnt83 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Long Term Disability Re: Long Term Disability
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ray View Post
He's a class 4, Scagnt83. There is no reason for any insurance agent, regardless of their daily activities, to take a policy that relies on a social supplement.

Even if he was a lower class, DI is not a price based sale as you know. OP needs a plan to cover his income, regardless of other factors.
Ive never covered an insurance agent other than myself. So you certainly have more experience with this occupation given your position.

I am not saying using a SS is the "best" way to go. All I am saying is that I have had multiple white collar clients come back different than usual with Guardian because of "non-standard" job duties. Perhaps I was a bit drastic at first saying to just discount the usual suspects and go with Assurity. But I am always super conservative when setting expectations for a DI policy.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability

Old 08-28-2016, 02:29 AM   #12
Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts:2,187
State: Tahoe Ray is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
Tahoe Ray is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Long Term Disability Re: Long Term Disability
Originally Posted by scagnt83 View Post
Ive never covered an insurance agent other than myself. So you certainly have more experience with this occupation given your position.

I am not saying using a SS is the "best" way to go. All I am saying is that I have had multiple white collar clients come back different than usual with Guardian because of "non-standard" job duties. Perhaps I was a bit drastic at first saying to just discount the usual suspects and go with Assurity. But I am always super conservative when setting expectations for a DI policy.
I follow that the old maxim: "wildly overpromise and massively underdeliver" normally works best in these random quoting situations...I think that it goes something like that.

Seriously, I agree with what you're saying but 1) Guardian is awesome but can be tough...although in this case it is unlikely that they would be and 2) SS offset sucks unless you're a truck driver unloading your cargo (and even then it is still not preferable but likely all that you're going to get).

Out of the carriers that OP listed, Illinois Mutual would be his only option for pure base, although I wouldn't insure an agent with any of those products.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability
Old 09-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #13
Guru
SPUR CITY on Long Term Disability
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts:1,158
State: SPUR CITY is an Insurance Agent from Texas
SPUR CITY is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Long Term Disability SPUR CITY is the thread starter for: Long Term Disability

GREAT feedback!


I listed the carriers above because those are some other ones that I already have in my bag. Granted, I'm obviously not a DI specialist. I'm a FE specialist.


I'd like to get paid on my own case, so who has a NICE FAT Guardian contract?

------------------------------------
Matt Mungia, MBA

"For the VERY BEST in Final Expense Training"

281-536-4220

http://theinsurancesquad.com
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability
Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #14
Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts:2,187
State: Tahoe Ray is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
Tahoe Ray is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Long Term Disability
Originally Posted by SPUR CITY View Post
GREAT feedback!

I listed the carriers above because those are some other ones that I already have in my bag. Granted, I'm obviously not a DI specialist. I'm a FE specialist.

I'd like to get paid on my own case, so who has a NICE FAT Guardian contract?
Call your local Guardian brokerage director. They're not going to offer you much on a one off but it's worth a shot.

Comp on DI is mainly in the renewals and for most carriers, will require consistent production.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability
Old 09-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #15
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts:6,184
State: scagnt83 is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
scagnt83 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Long Term Disability Re: Long Term Disability
Originally Posted by SPUR CITY View Post
GREAT feedback!


I listed the carriers above because those are some other ones that I already have in my bag. Granted, I'm obviously not a DI specialist. I'm a FE specialist.


I'd like to get paid on my own case, so who has a NICE FAT Guardian contract?
Unfortunately Guardian and other big mutuals like them do not have a huge amount of room on contracts.

Most IMOs do not offer Guardian because their cut is very minimal. Many actually put agents below street because they are not willing to sell anything for less than a 10% cut.

Street for Guardian DI is 50%. You can always ask... but they almost never give out higher contracts for "one offs". You need to bring them at least $30k - $40k in premiums to get a bump of any kind.


Like Ray said, DI is all about the renewals. Clients usually keep policies for at least 15-20 years. Renewals can be as high as 20% over the first 10-15 years (depending on the carrier).


Unfortunately the major white collar players in the DI world are not very flexible on comp. Nothing like what its like in the Life Insurance world. With Life we can almost always find a higher contract somewhere if we look hard enough.


You could always find an agent who is at a higher comp rate and have them 1099 you part of the comp if they are willing. But there are not a lot of agents out there with their top DI contract. If you just dont want to get contracted I will 1099 you a % of it but I do not have their top contract. They do eApps for DI. Id bet that Ray or someone else would be happy to 1099 you part of it too.

But Guardian has a good product lineup so it might be worth getting contracted yourself. I know of a few FE guys that use them for small FU WL policies. Especially on kids.

Just make sure you have someone to help with deciding on the various riders. Of course you could always just ask us here on the forum.

----------

Originally Posted by Tahoe Ray View Post
Seriously, I agree with what you're saying but 1) Guardian is awesome but can be tough...although in this case it is unlikely that they would be and 2) SS offset sucks unless you're a truck driver unloading your cargo (and even then it is still not preferable but likely all that you're going to get).

Out of the carriers that OP listed, Illinois Mutual would be his only option for pure base, although I wouldn't insure an agent with any of those products.
Of course I agree. The reason I put that out there is a case I had a few years back that I tried to run through Guardian. Door to door salesman who did MAD volume. I was told that he sees 3x the amount of people per day vs. an average d2d salesman. Because of that he was looking at being rated or even a possible decline.

Of course their occupation questions might be a bit different if you say someone is an agent vs. when you tell them they are a d2d salesman.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability
Old 10-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #16
Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts:1,851
State: bluemarlin08 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
bluemarlin08 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Long Term Disability Re: Long Term Disability
Do a spreadsheet with all plans listed. I would bet that Standard will stand out more than anyone.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability
Old 10-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #17
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts:1,069
State: thomasm is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
thomasm is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Long Term Disability Re: Long Term Disability
Originally Posted by scagnt83 View Post
there is a case I had a few years back that I tried to run through Guardian. Door to door salesman who did MAD volume. I was told that he sees 3x the amount of people per day vs. an average d2d salesman.
Do you remember how many people they said the average D2D salesman sees per day?

I've been banging on doors since 2003, just curious to see where I'm standing!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability
Old 10-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #18
Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts:2,187
State: Tahoe Ray is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
Tahoe Ray is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Long Term Disability
Originally Posted by thomasm View Post

Do you remember how many people they said the average D2D salesman sees per day?

I've been banging on doors since 2003, just curious to see where I'm standing!
Insurance agents are insurance agents for the most part.

Your classification is based on income, years in the business, and certifications.

There are several companies that won't yank you around like this... (several relative to the thin market of DI carriers.)
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Long Term Disability
Reply to Long Term Disability 

  Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Disability Insurance Forum


Tags
disability




Similar Threads with Long Term Disability
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy Term And Invest The Difference Atlas Life Insurance Forum 205 11-04-2016 11:40 PM
Long Term Care Update Steve Savant Long Term Care Insurance Forum 0 04-02-2014 05:53 PM
Transferring Long Term Disability with New Job Tblazer Ask The Agents 3 07-09-2013 10:37 AM
Long Term Disability dandan Employee Benefits Forum 1 08-03-2010 07:27 AM
Long/Short Term Disability Coverage for Police Officers jimshaw Disability Insurance Forum 6 03-25-2010 09:19 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Forum enabled with vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Join the Forum - It's FREE

Share This Page



Weekly Poll

Whats the biggest selling point for voluntary benefits?