Marketing Disability Insurance to Professionals

ProsperSBC

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Wisconsin
How are you guys currently marketing DI insurance to professionals. I work for what most of you say is the best DI company on the planet but my book is all life insurance. How can I break into the DI business? I am used to using an approach letter and following up with a call. Any ideas to get me going?? Thanks in advance.

Okay, I hope this gives you an idea on how to market D.I. or C.I. to business owners. You could adapt this idea to either C.I. or D.I.
Here is the concept.

Do you want a get well card or a check?

After having a heart attack, stoke or getting cancer do you want a get well card or a check?

While getting many get well cards is nice, it won’t pay the bills. How would a check for $10,000, $25,000, $50,000 or $100,000 help you?

The truth is that most people don’t die after having a heart attack, stoke or getting cancer. Even if you have the best health insurance in the world, you will still have a deductible to pay and other expenses that you may not be considering. Such as you will be out of work and will not be receiving a pay check or your income will go down.

What I want to do is to send you a check, instead of a get well card. I want to make sure if you get one of the following conditions, A,B,C,D, ect, that you will receive a check from ABC COMPANY. Let me help you determine how much you will need if one of these conditions happens to you.

The get well card or check idea works on many different products. D.I. , C.I. or maybe even health insurance.

My mother has had 3 heart attacks. You may ask how she is still alive. She told me the other day that she should be dead after having just one heart attack. The biggest problem is the fact that she didn’t die. She has plenty of life insurance. But the question is how much insurance she has besides health insurance, to cover the expenses of having a heart attack. She was out of work for over 3 month with little income. She had to see 3 different doctors that all were far away. She had great health insurance, but it didn’t cover everything. She had an 80/20 plan and had a deductible. The bills started pilling in all at the same time and the company didn’t understand that fact that she could not work and just had a heart attack.

To make this short, would a check or a get well card had helped her? What I’m selling is protection and a check.

I just wrote this up in a hurry to show you. This is not the letter that I send to my clients. Many insurance companies will give you something to send to the clients promoting these kinds of products, but I would also use this with it. I want to show you the idea and you can make it your own. I’m trying to just show you the concept of the idea.

How many people do you know that could have used a check instead of a get well card?

If you don’t have a company to offer this kind of protection, just email me. I have plans that also offer Return of Premium in case they don’t ever use this coverage that they will get all of their money back. There are tons of great products and companies to use for this idea.

I like that alot, how would you approach doctors and dentists though?
It should work as well or even better on them since they are notoriously the worst patients ever, lol
Seriously, they know what it means to suffer an illness and not be able to work and their incomes are higher than the average citizen so in order to try to maintain their lifestyle; they would need some type of CI or DI to help them out should something leave them where they weren't able to continue to practice.
I am sure you could tweak Mark's words to specifically fit their needs but he basically has the nuts and bolts of it there for you.
What I have noticed, though is that it is really hard getting docs and dentists to even listen to you at their office. They are inundated with pharm sales reps all day and patients.
The docs and dentists I have as clients were met with at their homes on their down time.
I usually spoke with the spouse first.
Most dentists will live close to their practice and docs usually will, too if you are targeting offices vs. hospitals.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Prosper, I noticed you were looking for annuity prospecting help, too... I just recalled a conversation I had with a very successful woman in Pittsburgh. She was a Realtor and an insurance agent and one of the wealthiest women I had ever met. She only dealt with 7figure or higher properties and only sold annuities. She was so classy and very educated. I always admired how she carried herself and of course of how successful she was. I was really young when I met her, just out of college and in my first year of real estate. I had finally mustered up the nerve to ask her if she would have coffee with me so I could find out more about what she does... She agreed and I asked her how she became so successful in both real estate and annuity sales and she told me how in one sentence... "I practically live at the country club".

She told me when she started she took way more than she could afford to join a prestigious country club in the area and that is how she networked.

So maybe that is an idea for you. You would see plenty of doctors and dentists and you would have an audience for annuities and Ci and DI... just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks Louise, my dad who is a CLU, CHFC and CEP is an IAR and only sells Jacksons Perspective II I think it is called. I write with Pacific life for my under age 45 crowd and Guardian for my over age 45. My dad places ads around the state has people call him and sends out a report he had published to the prospects. Does this technique sound familiar to you? He only works with clients 60 and above that have RMDs to worry about. It seems like he works about 4 months a year and makes over 250k. I like the life insurance side but on the annuity side all my stuff is just IRA rollovers for people who want guarantees with some of their retirement dollars. I do not actively prospect this business as it comes up when I take a factfinder for LI.
Louise, how did you get appointments with your docs and dentists in the first place? Approach letter and then a call or something else?

Last edited:
I actually pulled up their info from the central appraisal district info (tax office) and then sent them an introduction letter and asked them to call. Some of them did:) I didn't have one template I used; I usually would just write a letter to the tune of me knowing how busy they were and that I didn't want to bother them at their practice, blah, blah, blah... Now I just did their LI and not annuities because I didn't feel as if I was trained sufficiently to handle that but this summer I should be up to par and I am going to go to those clients and see what I can do with it...
I have heard of people using a self published report to use as a marketing tool. I find it VERY interesting but I don't know if I, myself, have the confidence to do that, lol... I get a little nervous when it comes to publishing financial reports and distributing them.

Thanks Louise, my dad who is a CLU, CHFC and CEP is an IAR and only sells Jacksons Perspective II I think it is called. I write with Pacific life for my under age 45 crowd and Guardian for my over age 45. My dad places ads around the state has people call him and sends out a report he had published to the prospects. Does this technique sound familiar to you? He only works with clients 60 and above that have RMDs to worry about. It seems like he works about 4 months a year and makes over 250k. I like the life insurance side but on the annuity side all my stuff is just IRA rollovers for people who want guarantees with some of their retirement dollars. I do not actively prospect this business as it comes up when I take a factfinder for LI.
Louise, how did you get appointments with your docs and dentists in the first place? Approach letter and then a call or something else?

Any chance you could share the fact finder you use?

If this helps, in my first year selling DI (1972) I sols $500K doing NOTHING but cold calls, since then and after 35 years of EXCLUSIVELY selling nothing but DI, I have published a book, called "The Anatomy of Disabilility Insurance Income". It was mentioned in Life Insurance Selling and other trade magizines if you are interested.
Larry

Thanks for your input Reso. I am looking at focusing on the DI market after nearly 10 yrs in the insurance field. I give you full marks for your production. I am also a phone pro, but I can't help wondering how things have changed since 1972. Would your approach still work in 2014? Do you have tips for me? For every 1 person I have sold face-to-face 15 more have never seen me. Did you set apts or just sell over the phone? Tx again.

Back