Maternity Leave Question

Stephen

Guru
1000 Post Club
Not a DI expert here*

I know that there are policies in the employer group space that pay during normal maternity leave. Are there any carriers that do this on the individual market? I have reached out to a few and they only pay if complications occur with the pregnancy.

Not that I'm aware of. I'm not aware of any group ones either.

Pregnancy isn't considered a disability, it's a natural part of life. If there were policies like this people would always just take them when they start trying to get pregnant and then cancel them after delivering the baby.

95% or more of the disability leads I get are people who are pregnant, already injured, or about to have some sort of surgery. I always have to explain to them it doesn't work like that. You can't wreck your car and then get auto insurance, you need to have it before anything bad happens if you want to be covered. DI is no different.

You need to look at Short Term DI plans. Many will cover normal child birth.

Aetna, Unum, & Aflac are 3 that I know for a fact will cover child birth. Most have a 9 month waiting period though before they cover it (for obvious reasons).

Aetna, Unum, & Aflac are 3 that I know for a fact will cover child birth. Most have a 9 month waiting period though before they cover it (for obvious reasons).

Wow I was skeptical but I just checked and you're right about Aetna's group policies. Looks like their individual policies may not cover that though. I'm not appointed with them so I'm just going off what I can find on their site and it's not mentioned under their individual policies so I'm not sure. MOO group apparently covers maternity leave as well, but again not individual.

Thanks Tyler, any idea if any of them will play ball on the individual side?

Wow I was skeptical but I just checked and you're right about Aetna's group policies. Looks like their individual policies may not cover that though. I'm not appointed with them so I'm just going off what I can find on their site and it's not mentioned under their individual policies so I'm not sure. MOO group apparently covers maternity leave as well, but again not individual.

Remember, group is a different world. But otherwise you are spot on. IDI isn't going to cover maternity leave unless ordered by a doctor. And anyone looking for DI is generally going to be uninsurable.

At InsureWell, we are DI experts. Unfortunately, there are no companies that offer individual DI to cover maternity leave. Group plans are the only ones due to adverse selection.
We would be happy to help with any other questions. We have a whole blog post dedicated to options for those in need of maternity leave at our site.

Any individual policy sold outside of groups will not cover maternity leave after normal labor and delivery - no exceptions.

Voluntary carriers sell individual policies through groups, and these policies do provide the coverage she seeks. If her employer agrees to offer, you get her policy, and any co-workers who climb on board.

Allstate sells a group accident policy and by adding the optional sickness disability rider will cover maternity leave for the primary insured only. Of course, has to be in effect for 10 months prior to the disability (birth or bed rest) After 7 day elimination period will pay up to 6 months & this is where it gets grey: considered disabled when "is under the care of a physician, unless the physician states no further treatment is needed..." So, unless you have a complication then a normal pregnancy would not be covered, right?!

Are these individual policies for stay-at-home-moms or are they working?

A “small employer” is defined as a business with at least 2 employees but only covers the primary insured on a family plan. So, the only way a women would be covered through Allstate is if she is working.

Back