NYC Paid Sick Leave Law - Need Input for Disability

Hello,

I just asked a few veteran agents about how we can sell more Disability Insurance with the Implementation of the NYC paid Sick leave law to no avail.
The answer I seek is to sell more Disability policies not less or something else.

I am asking for some outside the box thinking on this new law. Can anyone give me any bona fide advice as to "How we as agents/brokers can sell more Disability," either Short Term and or Long Term based upon the new Law?

In Short, many Agents / Brokers feel that almost 99.99% of employees will use this law to get paid directly from the employer... who pays the group Disability bill! Any ideas on how you can take this negative into a positive? I know Liability Insurance will be booming in NYC based on this new law. Eventually I plan on getting additional licenses knowing this, but for now Disability Insurance is largest market I sell and inside NYC. Please give me any input.

Thank you,

Mike:err:

Attachments

• Employers_PaidSickLeaveOnePager.pdf
    644.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Employees_PaidSickLeaveOnePager.pdf
    696.6 KB · Views: 2
  • MandatoryNotice.pdf
    766.9 KB · Views: 2
How does this affect disability insurance? 40 hours of sick leave a year? Unless you have something with 0/0 elimination, where is the problem?

Either the person gets the need for disability, something beyond a a few days, or they don't.

How does this affect disability insurance? 40 hours of sick leave a year? Unless you have something with 0/0 elimination, where is the problem?

Either the person gets the need for disability, something beyond a a few days, or they don't.

No knowledge of this law but if Vol is right your talking about a 1 week benefit period....I don't know what DI your selling now but I can guarantee you are selling a benefit period longer than a week. When someone brings this law up I would say it helps you get 1 week of pay then what? At least with this law you can push elimination periods back 7 days :)

Thanks for the quick input. I sell STD and LTD with the best policy being 0/7. Correct .... one week elimination period is the best policy for sickness.Does the emperor have no clothes here or does this not make any sense? Maybe I'm wrong to even think this has any effect?

What I'm really looking for is any correlation of this law to either STD/LTD. Perhaps an angle to sell to those employers who passed on Disability Insurance. I was thinking that this could be a wake up call for those Employers that felt Disability Insurance was not needed.

Under New York City’s Earned Sick Time Act (Paid Sick Leave Law), certain employers must give their employees sick leave, which they can use for the care and treatment of themselves or a family member. Employers with five or more employees who are hired to work more than 80 hours a calendar year in New York City must provide paid sick leave. Employers with less than five employees must provide unpaid sick leave.

How would you sell Disability knowing this? Any Correlation here?

Thanks again,
Mike

I wouldn't be selling 0/7 unless I was working the low income blue collar crowd...

Higher income people will always have some interest in DI, particularly LTD.

Back