Occupations that Can't Get Disability?

...and as noted, air traffic controllers due to stress claims.

Thanks TP,

Now why would an "air traffic controller" be turned down ? I can think of MANY TRADES that would seem to be more stressful and dangerous that than occupation.

Anyone know???

thanks

One of the highest suicide and depression groups! High alcoholic and drug addicted group. Stress is high...Must keep the plane in the air and not hitting another!

Since we rarely here about Airplane collisions, i find it hard to believe (but what the heck do i know).

Alcohol / Drug Addiction (that seems to be high among-est many profession). WHY on Earth would they experience higher depression? (they make great money).

Since we rarely here about Airplane collisions, i find it hard to believe (but what the heck do i know).

Alcohol / Drug Addiction (that seems to be high among-est many profession). WHY on Earth would they experience higher depression? (they make great money).

Ever heard the joke...

The insurance company is a car being driven by the company President. Sales has its foot firmly on the gas while the Underwriter is pressing on the brake. All the while the Actuary is looking in the rearview mirror and telling the President how to steer.

Collisions happen rarely because Air Traffic Controllers take their job very seriously (like pilots and surgeons do). Your life is in their hands almost more than the pilot of your airplane. With 6000+ jets in US airspace at once, the margin of error for them is EXTREMELY small. And mistakes mean that hundreds of people die a fiery death.

No stress at all :1eek:

They also work very long hours. Usually 4 days straight of 12 hour shifts. Its non-stop for them when working. Managing up to 20 planes at once and constantly staring at a screen, making calculations, and directing pilots. In the past, they worked even longer hours but regs have limited things more now.

They make great money and have awesome benefits. But they are responsible for thousands, if not tens of thousands, of peoples lives per day.

I have an annuity client that retired from being an air traffic controller at Chicago Ohare. He said that he never could have imagined the stress level of the job before actually doing it. They actually keep full-time therapists on staff in some of the big airports for the controllers to speak to. He even talked his son out of taking it on as a career because of the terrible stress it causes. He said 3 years into retirement, he still has dreams about messing up and two planes colliding and hundreds dying because of him... but he said they dont come as often as they did when working...

----------

Since we rarely here about Airplane collisions, i find it hard to believe

We just had this recent near miss. It would have definitely taken out 2 planes, possibly even a 3rd. This stuff happens more than you would think. Its just not always made public.

170803-air-canada-mn-0904_0e42b808d5e29de7197694f8a2ea9d9c.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Last edited:
Explosives handlers
Underground coal miners with less than 2 years' experience

Just two that I can think of, but there are plenty. If you're serious about being in the DI business, don't prospect in high-risk occupational categories.

----------

Sounds like Congress and the Senate.

ATC jobs are incredibly stressful. If you or I make a mistake, nobody dies. They can make on mistake and kill dozens or hundreds of people. Whether you make $100K or $200K or $300K a year, that's still pretty damned stressful.

As TPetersen mentioned there are absolutely insurance companies for all occupations, medical and financial backgrounds. Insurance brokers have access to general agents that can help provide them with the proper solution for each individual client

Back