Ohio National & Illinois Mutual

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
Appears to have revamped their DI products. For those of you experienced in the field, how do you find their products compare?

Same for Illinois Mutual--how do their DI products stack up?

Appears to have revamped their DI products. For those of you experienced in the field, how do you find their products compare?

Same for Illinois Mutual--how do their DI products stack up?

ONL got serious about some really good things with their revamp on their product that was old, like the last time they took a serious look at it Ronald Reagan was in office. Here's what's good:

They've moved to defining occupation by medical specialty

They beefed up modified own-occ coverage to last to ages 65 and 70 on a lot of occ clases.

They have implemented pure own-occ coverage for a small list of occupations

They are extremely price competitive with a quality di product

The not so good:

They still won't allow pure own-occ for all medical professions (general dentists, anesthesiologists, and ER docs being the biggies they won't cover pure own-occ). So Berkshire and the Standard will still likely be best bets for these folks. They also won't issue pure own-occ on non-medical professionals. A lot of non-medical professionals won't care, but this does put them at a certain disadvantage.

They have a certain insistence on meeting clients in person :arghh:

IL Mutual has one interesting niche in my opinion, lower skilled office type workers (think secretaries and bank tellers). They qualify for IL Mutuals top occ class. Now, these people could get a much stronger modified own-occ (or even pure own-occ definition of disability from Berkshire) if they wanted to fork out the extra money. But top occ class at IL mutual could significantly reduce costs for people who probably don't value the importance of their income as much as highly paid professions.

They have a certain insistence on meeting clients in person :arghh

And that is exactly why I will never be writing a policy with them. This isn't 1967. One day the HO people will figure out that we have a thing called the internets these days.

And that is exactly why I will never be writing a policy with them. This isn't 1967. One day the HO people will figure out that we have a thing called the internets these days.
Different strokes for different folks. There are Advocates, Clients, and Customers. I want Advocates, and I've never found a way to build that kind of relationship over the phone. To each his own.

Different strokes for different folks. There are Advocates, Clients, and Customers. I want Advocates, and I've never found a way to build that kind of relationship over the phone. To each his own.

I've never met ~98% of my clients and have written life/health/disability/LTC/annuities all over the phone. Never had an issue with it and still get plenty of referrals. Over the phone/internet or in person shouldn't make a difference if you know what you're doing.

I've never met ~98% of my clients and have written life/health/disability/LTC/annuities all over the phone. Never had an issue with it and still get plenty of referrals. Over the phone/internet or in person shouldn't make a difference if you know what you're doing.
I can't do things the way I want to do them over the phone. If you can, that's great. It comes down to choosing how I want to run my business, not whether or not I know what I'm doing. Really nothing to argue about or take offense at.

I can't do things the way I want to do them over the phone. If you can, that's great. It comes down to choosing how I want to run my business, not whether or not I know what I'm doing. Really nothing to argue about or take offense at.

I'm not taking offense, I just find it ridiculous that some of these companies act like the internet doesn't exist. Not a problem for me, there are plenty of DI companies to sell...

Back