Are There Such a Thing is Total Disability Insurance Income?

If I'm not mistaken this is a thread begun in a pursuit for DI for blue collar workers that functions more like a DI contract for a white collar worker.

I think that NoFault stated his question poorly. It is vauge and ambigious besides being grammatically incorrect (it should have been stated in the singular rather than in the plural). The best answer is that if she is not working there is no way that any insurer will offer her DI. She must be employed and/or have income (not SSI)to purchase a DI policy! She should apply for Social Security disability and then go on Medicare after being on SS DI for two years. That is what the Social Security disability program is there for!

Last edited:
This is something which needs some lime light and come in front of people. I don't know much about it but i think that their should be something like this for sure.

What I meant is this:

Scenario:

I work at a manufacture company on the assembly line. I'm a wage earner, but average earning is $42K a year, this may include overtime or not. I enrolled into my company's DI programs which includes short term (30 days to 6 months) and long term (6 months to a year). Can I still get another DI policy that will pay in addition to the company program and if I become totally disable will pay me permanently?

Last edited:
What I meant is this:

Scenario:

I work at a manufacture company on the assembly line. I'm a wage earner, but average earning is $42K a year, this may include overtime or not. I enrolled into my company's DI programs which includes short term (30 days to 6 months) and long term (6 months to a year). Can I still get another DI policy that will pay in addition to the company program and if I become totally disable will pay me permanently?

Yes it's possible but here's the hook. You'll be able to get coverage that goes up to the participation limit of the DI carrier (will vary by carrier) meaning what's available in addition to their group LTD.

I'm not sure what pay permanently is supposed to mean. If it means pay longer than the year LTD plan, yes there is coverage, but it won't be much longer. The occupation class you are looking at isn't all that coveted by a lot of carriers. Better to look direct at a union central or illinois mutual for the contract.

Yes it's possible but here's the hook. You'll be able to get coverage that goes up to the participation limit of the DI carrier (will vary by carrier) meaning what's available in addition to their group LTD.

I'm not sure what pay permanently is supposed to mean. If it means pay longer than the year LTD plan, yes there is coverage, but it won't be much longer. The occupation class you are looking at isn't all that coveted by a lot of carriers. Better to look direct at a union central or illinois mutual for the contract.

By permanently I meant for the rest of my life, till I die...in addition to SSDI.

By permanently I meant for the rest of my life, till I die...in addition to SSDI.

There are two companies that offer lifetime benefit riders. One--Guardian--would not take this sort of client. The other--Metropolitan--might, but not sure if they'd still offer the lifetime benefit.

I don't know if this will help but honestly for the next continuing ed class for your license take a DI course. I don't think there is enough space to teach you everything about DI here. It would do you much better in the long run to educate yourself about DI rather than give you a company you can quote but not understand how their policies work.

I don't mean to sound so mean, but your clients are depending on you to know what you're selling them.

Thanks Gilmore. I should have pay more attention to DI. I have sold alot of Life and never a DI or CI rider, but now that I begin to see the light, I guess this will benefit alot of my existing clients if I understand what it actually means.

Back