7 Steps to Firing Clients Ethically

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
The latest article from the National Ethics Association (link below) tackles the tricky subject of how to – in 7 steps – ethically cut ties with clients who are more trouble than they’re worth.

If you have anyone you are thinking about purging from your client list, please give it a read, and also please share your ideas and concerns about how to best end bad client relationships here.

Insurance Forums | Conscious Uncoupling: 7 steps to firing clients ethically

Not sure when a client reaches the point of needing to be "fired", that "ethics" questions are really a concern...

Think you just need to be careful how you "fire" clients to minimize possible E&O exposure from potentially vengeful clients who might try to sue or badmouth you online.

I have a Medicare advantage customer I would love to be rid of not worth the $17 a month in renewals. I have a small agency, just my husband and one assistant. This customer has called my office up to 20 times in one day with questions, she started calling my home phone late at night with more generic question like "can I call 911, I don't feel good" She cannot read so if she gets anything in the mail from the insurance company or doctor I must send her a self addressed stamped envelope or drive to her home and pick it up to read it to her. She also has no friends or family to refer to me. I got 5 calls from her today asking 5 times if the same doctor is in network.

I have a Medicare advantage customer I would love to be rid of not worth the $17 a month in renewals. I have a small agency, just my husband and one assistant. This customer has called my office up to 20 times in one day with questions, she started calling my home phone late at night with more generic question like "can I call 911, I don't feel good" She cannot read so if she gets anything in the mail from the insurance company or doctor I must send her a self addressed stamped envelope or drive to her home and pick it up to read it to her. She also has no friends or family to refer to me. I got 5 calls from her today asking 5 times if the same doctor is in network.

Can you say Caller ID??;)

My clients have my office phone and email. That's all they need. I have caller ID and call blocking. I can also block incoming emails for those that can't understand they are a PITA

My clients have my office phone and email. That's all they need. I have caller ID and call blocking. I can also block incoming emails for those that can't understand they are a PITA

Is that why you haven't answered my last dozen emails and I get a disconnected number when I call you?

Rick

You want referrals from her....more or the same.

She literally called again as I am reading these posts, not to mention voice mail from 7a.m. - like anyone is in the office that early. I try to take her calls because she is a nice lady and all alone. 7 years ago I didn't mind that much because I was a new agent and had plenty of time and a lot more patience.

There are a lot of us that took on almost anyone when we were trying to build a business. At some point it is time to cut them loose.

Back