Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > E&O - Errors and Omissions for Insurance Agents

Reply to Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer     
Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Guru

State: SamIam is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer
I just renewed my policy but I've always been curious who gets to pick an attorney for a claim. Does the E&O company appoint one or do you get to hire your own. How does that work.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer
Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Guru
FEX Quotes on Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer

State: FEX Quotes is an Insurance Agent from New Jersey
FEX Quotes is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer Re: Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I just renewed my policy but I've always been curious who gets to pick an attorney for a claim. Does the E&O company appoint one or do you get to hire your own. How does that work.
E&O works just like any other casualty product in this regard. The E&O carrier will have an attorney or firm assigned to handle the claim who will work closely with the company's claim rep.

There's No One With Endurance Like The Man Who Sells Insurance

Final Expense Quote Engine
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Expert

State: raphoenix is an Insurance Agent from
The provider ALWAYS picks the lawyer. They are looking at hiring the least expensive lawyer who will bill the least number of hours at a low rate.
It is insurance after all.

Believe me, I had one assigned to me once, and they were always concerned with filing reports with the carrier about how soon they expected to finish.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Guru

State: Milkman1265 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
i would think they would hire the BEST lawyer they can for the budget?

IMO, it would make sense to help you win so they dont pay out as money and get a hit on their bottom line?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Expert

The lawyer I received was good, but the carrier did not pick up the bill for me.

That's what I thought would happened at first, then they informed me of the policy terms that stated that they did not cover ______________ damages or settlements, but only the cost of the lawyer to defend the claim.

In other words, I would have had to let the case go to trial and pray for a complete dismissal (to avoid any additional costs), or run the risk of losing at trial (and then having to pay the WHOLE claim amount).
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Guru

E&O did not cover your lawyer fees? Shouldn't it all be included, the only distinction i've seen is, whether the fees are inclusive in the 1MM aggregate or a separate limit.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Expert

No, no...first, I don't want to confuse you, but this was a malpractice action.

The insurer DID COVER the attorney fees. That was all that they covered though.
The thing that really cost me (that I thought would be covered) was the settlement payment itself (that the carrier said they did not cover).

In other words, the carrier paid for a lawyer to defend me, but if they were unsuccessful, I was liable for the damages.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Guru
moonlightandmargaritas on Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer

State: moonlightandmargaritas is an Insurance Agent from Florida
moonlightandmargaritas is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by Milkman1265 View Post
E&O did not cover your lawyer fees? Shouldn't it all be included, the only distinction i've seen is, whether the fees are inclusive in the 1MM aggregate or a separate limit.
Like most casualty coverages, you're covered for your policy aggregate, plus any fees to defend you.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Guru

Originally Posted by moonlightandmargaritas View Post
Like most casualty coverages, you're covered for your policy aggregate, plus any fees to defend you.
not the policies i see! all the e&o policies in NY i've seen are included in the aggregate, unless you specifically endorse/pay for outside of aggregate.

but is what i learned from class and regular GL claims etc... but even my own E&O states that attorney fees are included in max aggregate coverage.

to OP, so they denied claim based on the action you did was not a covered event? (i'm guessing they called it an intentional act of neglect or something like that?)
Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Expert

Just re-read the policy itself, said there was an EXCLUSION for any act alleging dishonest conduct....

but then again, couldn't the carrier always argue that the insured was 'dishonest' (for example: Did not honestly quote a sufficient amount of coverage just to make the sale...)???

----------

Originally Posted by Milkman1265 View Post
to OP, so they denied claim based on the action you did was not a covered event? (i'm guessing they called it an intentional act of neglect or something like that?)
No, they denied based on the 'dishonest' claim and that I was only covered under one of my corporations, not the others cited in the suit...
Reply to Who Gets to Pick the Lawyer 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > E&O - Errors and Omissions for Insurance Agents