Advice to Use the Company Health Fund?

flyhope

Dear all, here I am seeking advices to use my company health fund in order to pay off my medical bills. Here are the details:

I received a hospital service at the end of March 2013, and the charge were finally processed by the insurance company at Sept. 2013. I should have about ~$500 available from my HRA account however it is not applied;instead, I am responsible for what's remained on the bill. I called the insurance company, the representative told me that because my company changed into new insurance at April 2013, all my available health fund then was also transferred into the new insurance company so that they are no longer have that fund to pay off the bills.

This explanation seems reasonable, but I am still skeptical about it. Does anyone have such experience? Could I somehow still find a way to have my company health fund applied to my bill as managed by the old insurance company? Interesting thing is, I also had two other bills from the same day of service (March 2013), but processed right away (I guess before the health fund got transferred out) so that the health fund paid them all. It seems that when the bill got processed, before or after the change of insurance plan (therefore the transfer of the remaining health fund), is a big factor here resulting totally different cases.

Could it be possible to have my health fund pay this bill? Or if I have to pay it out-of-pocket first, is there any way I could get reimbursed from the health fund (managed by a NEW insurance company supposedly)? Who should I contact for this, my company or my new insurance company?

Thanks for all your kindly advice!

Last edited:
Sounds a little funny to me, so I suggest you work back through your company. See what they say first. An HRA is an employer funded account, the insurance company is nothing more than an administrator.

Back