Any where to learn Group Health Insurance 101?

Hi Delta 76-

Willing to work with me....? Little ole me? I assume none of them are willing to work with me. I am just a peon accumulating data and showing the data to as many people as I can because in my case for a group of 4 and over employees I would sell 1/14 presentations. I didn't know who those people would be.

I called one controller for three years. I never had an appointment for three years. Then one day he let me in. I piled up my data and presented it to him just like I would the other 13. Lo and behold the heavens parted...the customer bought, and I had the group benefits for 15 years and netted over $150,000 from them..over the years... now all you bigshots I know can do much better. But that was my best sale and continues to be.

The only thing I assume is that my one in fourteen ratio holds steady. I assume they all get the same level of presentation.....the best I can give them......the brother in law may decide to fail out of the business.....I made a presentation recently to an 84 year old lady whose grandson who just failed out of the biz and spoke for her during the interview; he told me she had to "evaluate her options" on a little final expense plan. Well, she called me up the next day when he wasn't around and she said she wanted the plan. Happy for me. $3300 in my pocket from her the next week.

Your point is well-taken....but really, if they say their brother-in-law is going to show them a plan, then you make sure you show them the better plan....the best rate, the most professional presentation.....they will buy from you because it's THEIR MONEY and a lot of them understand keeping the money arm's length from the brother-in-law, the grandson, the everybody else. :err:

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding the right up-line is key if your new to the market. Let them handle the quoting process until you are comfortable with it. It is certainly more complex and time consuming than term life insurance.

Quick Group Health question...I have a client looking for a group health plan in KY. He is a builder and is interested in a plan through the Home Builders Assoc. w/ Anthem. I found a broker who can meet his needs, but before I contract w/ him I need to know what the standard commissions would be to his agency. He has offered to split the agency commission 50/50 w/ me since I have a health license...and the buyer will not participate if I am not involved due to a strong, client relationship. The assumed premiums will be about $360,000 per year (50 employees)...What is the normal commission pay/range for a plan of this size. Looking for a range to make sure I can trust a partner in future deals in KY & OH. Thanks!

Quick Group Health question...I have a client looking for a group health plan in KY. He is a builder and is interested in a plan through the Home Builders Assoc. w/ Anthem. I found a broker who can meet his needs, but before I contract w/ him I need to know what the standard commissions would be to his agency. He has offered to split the agency commission 50/50 w/ me since I have a health license...and the buyer will not participate if I am not involved due to a strong, client relationship. The assumed premiums will be about $360,000 per year (50 employees)...What is the normal commission pay/range for a plan of this size. Looking for a range to make sure I can trust a partner in future deals in KY & OH. Thanks!

4.5 % comp

If you are in KY why have not looked at Humana? They own the market there. There rates should be about 14%-18% cheaper than anthem.
If you look at there gate keeper (HMO look a like) plan it has an even higher savings.

An aspiring group agent wants to know where he/she can get educated on selling group benefits. XCCCYK, your question has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. If you begin a new thread, you'll get more responses to your question.

Phil, I'd try contacting the Life Underwriters Training Council (LUTC). They offer a menu of in-classroom courses that are excellent. They're taught by agents who are in the trenches rather than some PhD who's never prospected or written an app.

Search LUTC on your search engine and you'll learn who to contact for information.

Good luck!

Robert Lehrer

QUESTIONNAIRE FORM for Group Health Insurance

I'm desperately in search of a one pager page that I can e-mail or fax to a potential employers.

I would appreciate if you can share with me with what you're using right now yourself, or what you think would be adequate.

So far, I've come up with something like this:

Name: Work: Cell:

Company: Industry: Position:

Address: City: Zip:

Number of Owners & Partners & Spouses:

Total Number of Employees: Total Employees to be insured:

Percentage Paid by Employees: 100% 75% 25% 10% 0%

HSA: _____ HRA: ___ HMO: _____ $ 35 POS:______ Others: ____________

Dental: ____ Optical: ___ Other Insurance: __________________________________

Life: ______ Disability: ______

Warehouse: ______ Liability: _______ Workers Comp:_______

Last edited:
Here ya go,

Are you in a position to lower your group health insurance costs?

If "yes", call XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have been using this for years.

Try Will Proileau (sic) in Columbia - when I lived in Columbia years ago he was active in the Underwriters Assoc- I know he was big in the Med Supp market and don't know if he does group- but he knows most of the GAs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Not really- get to know the admin person for their benefits decision maker, they will let you know if the current broker is in tight or whether they can be dislodged- especially for the smaller companies (small group). I quit doing all the work of finding a better carrier, better service, and ongoing agent support (me) to have the owner give my work to his buddy and tell him to get this plan for them.

Last edited:
Thanks for you input guys. Im trying to find a GA to work with here in Illinois. I would like to do both group and individual health. I have LOTS of business contacts who I have placed life insurance through that have been asking me for health insurance quotes for both individual and group but haven't been able to help them.

Give me a buz at our Empire Division. We can help and train in marketing to businesses.

Check out a 12 Keys to Business Owners Selling at: 12 Keys to Business Owner Selling

Patrick

Back