Cold Calling

Just an update, I actually got one call back from a guy. He wasn't offering health health insurance to his employees because he couldn't afford it but he said depending on what happens with the government he might and to check back in 90 days. I don't think the cost of providing health care is going to go down in 90 days but I might call back with some other products in mind like disability.

I've also gotten over my fear and started doing more in person "cold calling" which I think is quite a bit better. People are a lot less angry and reluctant to hear you out.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben,

If you are willing to write some individual health policies, you have a hot lead with the business owner you talked to. If he's not providing coverage, the employees are getting it on their own and you may as well offer to help them. Even though it's outside open enrollment, you could offer to come in and do a quick Q&A with the employees and likely get broker of record letters. Then you have a foot in the door for when they want a group plan. If they don't, then you go back at open enrollment and sign everyone up for their individual plans. More work, but if you are just getting started, it is a way to get some traction.

Good for you for just going for it. You will learn a lot by trial and error, but keep at it.

Ben,

If you are willing to write some individual health policies, you have a hot lead with the business owner you talked to. If he's not providing coverage, the employees are getting it on their own and you may as well offer to help them. Even though it's outside open enrollment, you could offer to come in and do a quick Q&A with the employees and likely get broker of record letters. Then you have a foot in the door for when they want a group plan. If they don't, then you go back at open enrollment and sign everyone up for their individual plans. More work, but if you are just getting started, it is a way to get some traction.

Good for you for just going for it. You will learn a lot by trial and error, but keep at it.

I think that moving forward i'm probably not going to focus on doing a lot of b2b cold calling in regard to using the phone because it might burn some bridges. People just don't seem to be very receptive on the phone when you do get to the right person they seem a little pissed off right off the bat.

I am going to focus more on the in person route, i'm also joining some organizations like rotary/chamber of commerce and possibly a BNI group in order to meet some business owners. We are also going to start focusing on asking our existing clients for leads which is something we haven't really been doing.

You do bring up a good point regarding the individual health policies, at this point i'm really not in a position to be picky about any kind of client that I am licensed to sell any kind of policy to. :idea:

Here's my cold calling small business owners for health insurance script:

Hi is Jeff in? Hey Jeff, this is Justin Bilyj giving you a call, and Jeff - you're not going to recognize my name, because I am calling you as a cold call. Can I quickly tell you the reason why I called?
(quickly lets them know you won't take up much of their time, telling them you're cold calling them shows you are both confident and honest about your approach, and asking them if you can tell them the reason provokes interest).

I won't hold you up Jeff. I work with a lot of small businesses in the area who are either frustrated or confused about their health insurance options, do you share that same concern?
(this tells them you work within a niche, local business owners, in addition to probing them for any pain)

If they talk you have a lead, if they don't say this:
I can understand that. Do you mind me following up in 3-6 months to see if anything changes?

If they say No, most will say no as a conciliatory action to relieve them of the guilt most people have when they tell someone no, then say,

Great, what's your email in case I can't reach you by phone?

This script will help you come across as a genuine and honest agent, and you will be surprised how many people respond positively to this. If you don't know their first name, buy a data list and find it out. Now you can both build a pipeline of later-on leads along with the fresh leads you develop.

Hope this helps!

This is a good one! Thanks for sharing this, I find it useful if you just tell them straight that you are cold calling too. It's a way to build trust and to let them know that you'll make it quick.

Just an update, I actually got one call back from a guy. He wasn't offering health health insurance to his employees because he couldn't afford it but he said depending on what happens with the government he might and to check back in 90 days. I don't think the cost of providing health care is going to go down in 90 days but I might call back with some other products in mind like disability.

I've also gotten over my fear and started doing more in person "cold calling" which I think is quite a bit better. People are a lot less angry and reluctant to hear you out.

Thanks,
Ben

That's really great to hear, Ben! I was just like you when I was starting out, I agree that once you get over the fear of cold calling, it's easier to get people to listen to you. Confidence is key.

Hello,

I have been doing some cold calling to businesses trying to get some leads on group health insurance. My coworkers seem to think this is kind of a waste of time. I was just curious if any one has been successful in picking up new groups through cold calling businesses.

Thanks,
Ben
T
Try to get a good script. Do not try to sell over the phone. Try to set-up an appointment.

Here's my cold calling small business owners for health insurance script:

Hi is Jeff in? Hey Jeff, this is Justin Bilyj giving you a call, and Jeff - you're not going to recognize my name, because I am calling you as a cold call. Can I quickly tell you the reason why I called?
(quickly lets them know you won't take up much of their time, telling them you're cold calling them shows you are both confident and honest about your approach, and asking them if you can tell them the reason provokes interest).

I won't hold you up Jeff. I work with a lot of small businesses in the area who are either frustrated or confused about their health insurance options, do you share that same concern?
(this tells them you work within a niche, local business owners, in addition to probing them for any pain)

If they talk you have a lead, if they don't say this:
I can understand that. Do you mind me following up in 3-6 months to see if anything changes?

If they say No, most will say no as a conciliatory action to relieve them of the guilt most people have when they tell someone no, then say,

Great, what's your email in case I can't reach you by phone?

This script will help you come across as a genuine and honest agent, and you will be surprised how many people respond positively to this. If you don't know their first name, buy a data list and find it out. Now you can both build a pipeline of later-on leads along with the fresh leads you develop.

Hope this helps!

I have spent my adult life studying phone technique and selling via the phone. I was a stockbroker with Merrill Lynch for 9 years and I cold called daily. Took many classes (most importantly from Telephone Marketing Associates - Bill Good) and learned much from other successful brokers, specifically Dick Green in Boston. My point is this is a good approach. Justin just gave you a million dollars. Take it, embrace it, work it and make it yours. It is brilliant.

Back