Cold Calling

sbg_ben

Super Genius
Hello,

I have been doing some cold calling to businesses trying to get some leads on group health insurance. My coworkers seem to think this is kind of a waste of time. I was just curious if any one has been successful in picking up new groups through cold calling businesses.

Thanks,
Ben

Hello,

I have been doing some cold calling to businesses trying to get some leads on group health insurance. My coworkers seem to think this is kind of a waste of time. I was just curious if any one has been successful in picking up new groups through cold calling businesses.

Thanks,
Ben

What's your script? What are you saying to get to the decision makers?

Thinking back to watching from "the other side", I would think talking script might be a bit previous-first one has to get to the decision maker. A "cold caller" would never get past "the gauntlet".

Thinking back to watching from "the other side", I would think talking script might be a bit previous-first one has to get to the decision maker. A "cold caller" would never get past "the gauntlet".

Not true.... But first you need to do some research and know who you are trying to get in touch with. Some of our people that worked the payroll market would simply call and ask to speak the human resources director. The trick is once you contact them is hiving something to offer that makes them want to see you.

Here are a couple of articles on cold calling business for benefits.

https://www.lifehealthpro.com/2008/09/01/an-insurance-agents-guide-to-the-prospecting-cold

http://www.lifehealthpro.com/2015/11/30/calling-tips-for-insurance-agencies-and-brokers

I always forget the multiple meanings of cold calling.

I have it so firmly embedded in my head that cold calling is the sales person appearing unannounced on the business premises that I forget about the telephone.

Except to say that investment(s) calls to senior small business executives are rather like the pms to agents issue here, I can't really comment on the phone calls portion of things. My experience suggests to me that the two particular people I have in mind would never knowingly take a "cold call" telephone call but I am sure that there were some that "got by".

What's your script? What are you saying to get to the decision makers?

I basically just made one up for myself because no one else at my agency is really doing this.

I say Hi this is (my name) with (my company). Can I talk to the person that handles your employees health insurance?

At that point, they either transfer me to someone or give me a name and tell me that they aren't available or in right now.

The problem is that when I actually get to the decision maker or the right person to talk to, I was asking them if they had a moment to talk about their health insurance. I realized after the second time that the problem is in the way I was phrasing the question. I was basically setting them up to tell me how busy they are and to tell me they don't have time.

So basically, I need to work on what I say to the actual decision maker once I get to them which is something I haven't really figured out yet... :goofy:

----------

I have it so firmly embedded in my head that cold calling is the sales person appearing unannounced on the business premises that I forget about the telephone.

Except to say that investment(s) calls to senior small business executives are rather like the pms to agents issue here, I can't really comment on the phone calls portion of things. My experience suggests to me that the two particular people I have in mind would never knowingly take a "cold call" telephone call but I am sure that there were some that "got by".

We are also doing some in person "cold calling" but I am not usually the one taking the lead on that yet. I am basically using the telephone as a way to hone my approach and hopefully gain some confidence and leads. From what I have been hearing cold calling using the telephone for this business is probably not going to see much of a return on time spent. I'm looking into other avenues to focus on.

Here's my cold calling small business owners for health insurance script:

Hi is Jeff in? Hey Jeff, this is Justin Bilyj giving you a call, and Jeff - you're not going to recognize my name, because I am calling you as a cold call. Can I quickly tell you the reason why I called?
(quickly lets them know you won't take up much of their time, telling them you're cold calling them shows you are both confident and honest about your approach, and asking them if you can tell them the reason provokes interest).

I won't hold you up Jeff. I work with a lot of small businesses in the area who are either frustrated or confused about their health insurance options, do you share that same concern?
(this tells them you work within a niche, local business owners, in addition to probing them for any pain)

If they talk you have a lead, if they don't say this:
I can understand that. Do you mind me following up in 3-6 months to see if anything changes?

If they say No, most will say no as a conciliatory action to relieve them of the guilt most people have when they tell someone no, then say,

Great, what's your email in case I can't reach you by phone?

This script will help you come across as a genuine and honest agent, and you will be surprised how many people respond positively to this. If you don't know their first name, buy a data list and find it out. Now you can both build a pipeline of later-on leads along with the fresh leads you develop.

Hope this helps!

My preference has always been in person. Never had a lot of trouble getting by the gatekeepers.

----------

I basically just made one up for myself because no one else at my agency is really doing this.

I say Hi this is (my name) with (my company). Can I talk to the person that handles your employees health insurance?

At that point, they either transfer me to someone or give me a name and tell me that they aren't available or in right now.

The problem is that when I actually get to the decision maker or the right person to talk to, I was asking them if they had a moment to talk about their health insurance. I realized after the second time that the problem is in the way I was phrasing the question. I was basically setting them up to tell me how busy they are and to tell me they don't have time.

So basically, I need to work on what I say to the actual decision maker once I get to them which is something I haven't really figured out yet... :goofy:

----------

We are also doing some in person "cold calling" but I am not usually the one taking the lead on that yet. I am basically using the telephone as a way to hone my approach and hopefully gain some confidence and leads. From what I have been hearing cold calling using the telephone for this business is probably not going to see much of a return on time spent. I'm looking into other avenues to focus on.
I know a lot of folks say ask for permission to speak in one form or another but I have found it better just to get to the point of the call.

I just spoke with a young man doing door to door cold calling-he was/is very poorly trained.

I answered the door and he said something to the effect of: I'm ------ with Cox. I'm calling on some of our previous customers to see if we can help them.

Me: We don't watch any TV so the Cox service is not of any use to us.

Noticeable pause, then he asked,

What about your internet? Me: We get that through the phone company.

I waited, just from curiosity. He nodded and just looked at me, watching him. I finally said I'm sorry -------, and closed the door.

He gets some persistence points because I have seen him dejectedly trudging through the area for around a week. But.... I'm pretty sure his approach is not even giving him an even break.

Here's my cold calling small business owners for health insurance script:

Hi is Jeff in? Hey Jeff, this is Justin Bilyj giving you a call, and Jeff - you're not going to recognize my name, because I am calling you as a cold call. Can I quickly tell you the reason why I called?
(quickly lets them know you won't take up much of their time, telling them you're cold calling them shows you are both confident and honest about your approach, and asking them if you can tell them the reason provokes interest).

I won't hold you up Jeff. I work with a lot of small businesses in the area who are either frustrated or confused about their health insurance options, do you share that same concern?
(this tells them you work within a niche, local business owners, in addition to probing them for any pain)

If they talk you have a lead, if they don't say this:
I can understand that. Do you mind me following up in 3-6 months to see if anything changes?

If they say No, most will say no as a conciliatory action to relieve them of the guilt most people have when they tell someone no, then say,

Great, what's your email in case I can't reach you by phone?

This script will help you come across as a genuine and honest agent, and you will be surprised how many people respond positively to this. If you don't know their first name, buy a data list and find it out. Now you can both build a pipeline of later-on leads along with the fresh leads you develop.

Hope this helps!

Nice Work JB, let me take that and turn it into a Commercial Cold Call for P&C if I can....

Hi is Jeff in? Hey Jeff, this is Rick Deckard giving you a call, you're not going to recognize my name, however I can quickly tell you the reason why I called...(I don't like asking several times for permission to speak, in my opinion as a former business owner, I'm looking for someone who is confident to not apologize for the interruption, What is understood doesn't need to be discussed)

I work with a lot of small businesses in the area who are either frustrated or confused about their Business and Liability Insurance options...and many times are simply sent a renewal(make a face like you know that's not good) notice without a yearly check up, do you share that same concern?

-I agree with you, if they talk you have a lead so just listen and let them have the ball/microphone at that moment.

Back