Cold Calling

Nice Work JB, let me take that and turn it into a Commercial Cold Call for P&C if I can....

Hi is Jeff in? Hey Jeff, this is Rick Deckard giving you a call, you're not going to recognize my name, however I can quickly tell you the reason why I called...(I don't like asking several times for permission to speak, in my opinion as a former business owner, I'm looking for someone who is confident to not apologize for the interruption, What is understood doesn't need to be discussed)

I work with a lot of small businesses in the area who are either frustrated or confused about their Business and Liability Insurance options...and many times are simply sent a renewal(make a face like you know that's not good) notice without a yearly check up, do you share that same concern?

-I agree with you, if they talk you have a lead so just listen and let them have the ball/microphone at that moment.
"What is understood doesn't need to be discussed.". You don't need to tell me I don't recognize your name. 1). I will know that without being told. 2) it emphasizes in my mind that you are a stranger. ( stranger = danger :) ) 3) I may recognize it or for some reason at least think I do and think of you as an a acquaintance or at least a friend of an acquaintance and therefore give you a hearing.

Last edited:
I learned this script from an agent on here who taught it at IHIAA, it's the most effective script I have ever tried. I totally understand the permission thing, but I got more than enough leads when health was profitable AND I had business owners THANKING me for not trying to railroad them into a pitch.
Believe it or not, not all sales tips from the ''gurus'' matter..

I learned this script from an agent on here who taught it at IHIAA, it's the most effective script I have ever tried. I totally understand the permission thing, but I got more than enough leads when health was profitable AND I had business owners THANKING me for not trying to railroad them into a pitch.
Believe it or not, not all sales tips from the ''gurus'' matter..

By all means, a person should do whatever works for them.. My personal preference when someone calls me is that they get to their point quickly and I tended to do the same cold calling. Guess it comes from the door to door script I had to memorize when I started on the debit in 1971.. Still remmeber it word for word.

"My name is Louis Rouse with National Life. We have a service that has been of benefit to others in the neighborhood. Of course I have way of knowing if it could be of benefit to you and your family but you can decide that for yourself with the answer to three simple questions. That fair enough isn't it? (asked while smiling an shaking your head yes) --(never had anyone say no)

"I assume like most people, you like to save money?"

"Have you ever lost any money you had saved?"

"Have you ever spent any money you had saved?"

"If I could show you a plan that is the best you have ever seen, you be the SOLE judge, that would help to always answer no to those last two questions, you would be interested wouldn't you? " (smiling and shaking head yes)

Next step is to set the appointment if the situation is not right for an immediate sit down interview.

By all means, a person should do whatever works for them.. My personal preference when someone calls me is that they get to their point quickly and I tended to do the same cold calling. Guess it comes from the door to door script I had to memorize when I started on the debit in 1971.. Still remmeber it word for word.

"My name is Louis Rouse with National Life. We have a service that has been of benefit to others in the neighborhood. Of course I have way of knowing if it could be of benefit to you and your family but you can decide that for yourself with the answer to three simple questions. That fair enough isn't it? (asked while smiling an shaking your head yes) --(never had anyone say no)

"If I could show you a plan that is the best you have ever seen, you be the SOLE judge, that would help to always answer no to those last two questions, you would be interested wouldn't you? " (smiling and shaking head yes)

Next step is to set the appointment if the situation is not right for an immediate sit down interview.

Louis, how many years did you do debit.

Just quoted the thread title that came up when I used the search box.

I DO NOTE that in the indicated reply, you said you were NOT an old debit agent.

(There's probably a book in there somewhere, like:
We Were Debit Agents Once, and Young )

Here's my cold calling small business owners for health insurance script:

Hi is Jeff in? Hey Jeff, this is Justin Bilyj giving you a call, and Jeff - you're not going to recognize my name, because I am calling you as a cold call. Can I quickly tell you the reason why I called?
(quickly lets them know you won't take up much of their time, telling them you're cold calling them shows you are both confident and honest about your approach, and asking them if you can tell them the reason provokes interest).

I won't hold you up Jeff. I work with a lot of small businesses in the area who are either frustrated or confused about their health insurance options, do you share that same concern?
(this tells them you work within a niche, local business owners, in addition to probing them for any pain)

If they talk you have a lead, if they don't say this:
I can understand that. Do you mind me following up in 3-6 months to see if anything changes?

If they say No, most will say no as a conciliatory action to relieve them of the guilt most people have when they tell someone no, then say,

Great, what's your email in case I can't reach you by phone?

This script will help you come across as a genuine and honest agent, and you will be surprised how many people respond positively to this. If you don't know their first name, buy a data list and find it out. Now you can both build a pipeline of later-on leads along with the fresh leads you develop.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot this definitely helps I am going to try this out today. I will let you know how it goes

I feel those questions would make a prospect feel like you're setting up a trap for them.

star-wars-admiral-ackbar-its-a-cap.jpg

Back