Cold Calling - Visiting Vs Calling?

It's not an either/or proposition. It's "and". Do both visiting and calling.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...usiness-life-insurance-t68447.html#post900753

And KidsGotHeart is right - treat EVERYONE like they are the owner and a high value client... because they are.

Ask them for their help, after all, that's why they're there... to be helpful.

Give a brief intro as to what you do. Then build a little trust, ease, and professional rapport by saying something like:

"I don't know yet if my solutions (or what I do) would be a fit for you and your business operation, but I'd love to find out. Who would you say is the best person for me to talk to about ____? Would they happen to be here?"

If Yes: "Would it be possible to poke my head in and ask to shake their hand and set a time that's convenient to stop back by?"

If No: "When would be the best time for me to call back to try to reach them? Would you recommend that I call, or send an email?"

Basically ask enough questions to let that person be very helpful for you and guide you to your next step with that business.

So when I'm out prospecting you are saying to call and go face to face? As well with the gate keeper talk to them like I will talk to the owner? (More or less) make them feel like I am some what there to see them kind of?

Read the link I posted. There's good info there.

What I mean is to treat everyone as though THEY are the VIP person you are calling on. Never dismiss them or treat them any less than you would if they were the buyer. You'll never know if that person is a member of the business owner's family, or if they are the owner themselves. Every person in every business you are calling on... is part of the overall relationship. Treat them with the courtesy and respect as you would any $1,000,000 client.

Another good phrase that's safer to use than not to: "In addition to yourself, who else makes these kinds of decisions for your business?" They'll probably correct you and say that they don't make these decisions, but at least you will have complimented them instead of trying to find a way to go above that person's head.

I also recommend reading these kinds of books: Selling to VITO the Very Important Top Officer: Get to the Top. Get to the Point. Get to the Sale.: Anthony Parinello: 9781440506697: Amazon.com: Books

You may not need or use the exact strategies and tactics in the books, but it may help you shape the way you approach your prospects... especially on the chapters of administrative assistants. (They're ALL "administrative assistants".)

I went to 30 businesses last week and got 2 appointments, and made 20 calls and got 4 appointments this week. I'm very comfortable on the phones so it seems it's been easier for me to get in touch with the decision maker. The 2 appointments were from prospecting the whole week, the 4 were from just making calls yesterday.

As suspected.

Multiply your activity five-fold for a month, and give us an update.

Odds are you will be pleasantly surprised by the results.

I'm against face to face visit without a phone call to set up an appointment. I think it sends the wrong message and makes people uncomfortable.

Not only that, depending on the area you are covering, it can get expensive.

I'm against face to face visit without a phone call to set up an appointment. I think it sends the wrong message and makes people uncomfortable.

Not only that, depending on the area you are covering, it can get expensive.

It's not my cup of tea, but for the agents that do it, they love it. I know one agent that does nothing but door knocks and does about $125k/year in premium. It ain't for me, but I can't imagine I'd go half a day with him and not learn some new tricks.

I'm against face to face visit without a phone call to set up an appointment. I think it sends the wrong message and makes people uncomfortable. Not only that, depending on the area you are covering, it can get expensive.

I think it makes most sense to attempt to set an appointment via the phone -

but if you can't get a hold of someone then door knocking can be very effective.

To each their own

Door to door for businesses is a very old school method. For the right business it can yield big results though. Its best done with small businesses with 10 or less employees, but it can work with most any size company.

Usually the point is not to actually get to see the decision maker when you get there. Obviously you ask about it and on rare occasions they will be available/willing to speak. The real goal is 2 fold:
1. It shows effort in wanting to do business with that firm. When someone calls you and tells you that they stopped by in person to see you yesterday... you are immediately engaged more than usual. It also shows that person is serious about wanting me as a client.

2. It also allows you to possibly form a bit of a rapport with the gatekeeper and to hopefully get some inside info on the company from them... like what benefits they have now, how they are, and who really does make the decision.

Im not saying its best to door knock and then call the day after. It is a method that can work if you do it correctly.... just like phone only can work if done correctly. Its all in the process as to how effective it will be.

Also depends on part of the country. Canvassing in the NY Metropolitan area is not a good look. Especially in Manhattan with all the security in place.

Any advice on what you say when you cold call a business to generate interest in voluntary?
Is it the same as cold calling?

Back