Cold Calling - Visiting Vs Calling?

stagg313

What do you prefer visiting businesses or actually calling them on the phone? I work for AFLAC and they preach visiting, yet in all my sales experience I've always used phones.

Also I have set more appointments on the phone so far in 2 weeks over visiting. However prospecting I feel could be done easier by visiting the establishment, it gives me a bit more insight on what kind of business it is, whether it seems like a place that would want voluntary benefits, etc etc.

Let's start at the beginning. Do you really think Aflac is your best option?

I'm a huge believer in banging up the phones, but the important thing is that you do what you're comfortable with and that you do a lot of it.

Josh I definitely don't feel AFLAC 100% but I'm giving it a shot to get some B2B experience and insurance experience as well.

I am extremely comfortable with the phone, a bit less with walking into places; but if you do the things you are bad at you can only try to get better.

Kids how do you get past the gate keeper? That's the problem I've been having, although it's Christmas and alot of people here go out of town which has been a huge obstacle. (I chose the wrong time to start I think lol)

Stag -- how many cold knocks did you do last week, and how many presentations did you give?

Getting past the gatekeeper is important, but generally takes a back seat to prospecting, which is what you should be most concerned with at all times.

I went to 30 businesses last week and got 2 appointments, and made 20 calls and got 4 appointments this week. I'm very comfortable on the phones so it seems it's been easier for me to get in touch with the decision maker. The 2 appointments were from prospecting the whole week, the 4 were from just making calls yesterday.

I went to 30 businesses last week and got 2 appointments, and made 20 calls and got 4 appointments this week. I'm very comfortable on the phones so it seems it's been easier for me to get in touch with the decision maker. The 2 appointments were from prospecting the whole week, the 4 were from just making calls yesterday.

30 businesses should take a morning to complete and 20 calls should take about 20-30 minutes. That not even a full day. That means you should be making at least 20 appointments per week if your numbers hold true and you work a full week.

Kids how do you get past the gate keeper? That's the problem I've been having, although it's Christmas and alot of people here go out of town which has been a huge obstacle. (I chose the wrong time to start I think lol)

What I do, is just treat them like they are the owner, until they tell me they are not. YMMV There is no secret phrase to get past them all. I have found making them an ally is a lot easier. You will run into some that are unfriendly, but most are pleasant. You are doing the hard part already, just keep grinding.

Back