Colonial Life

I forget what they paid for that around here. But you do not have to deal with employees at all. You are 100% business to business sales, which is nice. You just go from account to account and get a cut of what the enrollers do.

Enrolling is easier because you dont have to prospect. But it is harder because enrolling and dealing with employees, being stuck at a location for anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks, traveling for extended periods, etc. is all stuff you have to put up with.

Opener is easier from a time spent standpoint, but it is 100% up to you to find new business. The reason comp is less, is because you dont have to enroll and you can spend that time finding new groups which makes everyone more money in the long run.

Read this post, you may want to reconsider signing with colonial life

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...m/beware-colonial-life-recruiters-t81236.html

Colonial Life is a perfectly upstanding company that has a higher new agent success rate than their main competitor Aflac.

In that post the guy never got put on any enrollments... there could be LOTS of reasons they never used him... perhaps he never correctly learned the products??? Always 2 sides to a story... especially with 1st year agents who fail. There are also just shi**y people in the world who will use and mistreat others... but that is not in any way representative of their company as a whole.

I personally know multiple Colonial Enrollers who make over $100k per year from Colonial alone. And they do not have to cold call or do any prospecting at all. (they do travel a lot)

I also personally know multiple Openers who make in the same income range or more.

Im not saying all of them make that much. But if you are a capable and motivated agent it is very possible.

New Accounts Opener

I don't know how Colonial does it, but as an experienced worksite consultant, I'm more involved in the enrollment process and just don't hand it off to enrollers.

The real money in worksite is made in the setup. The larger the group gets, the more challenging setup can be.

I then decide what resources I need and pay the enrollers out of my cut. You can expect to pay enrollers about $200 per day plus expenses.

I'm guessing your cut is larger at Colonial if you do all the work so the question you need to ask is what is my commission split if I do all the work on each product I offer.

I don't know how Colonial does it, but as an experienced worksite consultant, I'm more involved in the enrollment process and just don't hand it off to enrollers.

The real money in worksite is made in the setup. The larger the group gets, the more challenging setup can be.

I then decide what resources I need and pay the Enrollers out of my cut. You can expect to pay Enrollers about $200 per day plus expenses.

I'm guessing your cut is larger at Colonial if you do all the work so the question you need to ask is what is my commission split if I do all the work on each product I offer.

Colonial's business model for their "career" agents is to have separate Enrollers and Openers. But the BOR is the Opener. And they are able to control and manage the enrollment.

If you are an indy agent then you can choose to perform both functions for the groups you close. But if you want Enrollers for Colonial products, they will be on commission and not on a Fee basis.

On a separate note, as someone who has been involved in managing enrollments for large groups that were 3k+, I am not a fan of paying a flat fee for Enrollers.

$200 a day will not motivate a skilled agent. Paying a commission might lower your comp from a % basis. But your total Premium will increase because you have motivated and skilled agents.

Ive personally come on as an Enroller (not Colonial) on large groups at just a tiny 10% comp and cleared $300-$500+ per day. Had I received a flat fee I would not have been nearly as motivated to sell that much. Honestly, even back then I was making more than $200 per day with normal activities, so I wouldnt have even agreed to work it. If you want skilled agents then you have to pay them accordingly. Health/Dental/Vision need no sales skill to enroll. But the supplemental products need solid sales skills to create big Premiums.

I saw an increase in total Premium in the 30%-45% range when using commission based agents. If you pay 10%-20% in comp to Enrollers... then you Net an extra 10%-35% in comp. jmo

Last edited:
Does Colonial offer products to individuals also? Like accident, cancer, etc? (along the lines of Aflac)

----------

I guess I should add... in Virginia

Back