Colonial VS Aflac

In my immediate area... The colonial reps are much more seasoned and professional than the Aflac reps I have come across. It is rare that I talk to an Aflac rep who has been with the company for more than 18 months. They seem to churn through college kids at a brisk pace. I know there are awesome Aflac reps out there but they are not servicing small groups in my area. Colonial has better pricing, equal or better products and a much more stable workforce in my limited interaction with both companies.

Just a note, there are more effective plans offered by insurance carriers out there. If you have never looked at Allstate Workplace Division for example, your missing out. They have a great group accident plan. I do not work for them, they're just a carrier. One of the 40 or so I rep.

There is a huge difference between Aflac and Colonial. The biggest ones for me are that Colonial is more affordable, and their underwriting allows more people to qualify. If you're serious about helping your clients, rather than "selling" them something, this is important.

So I automatically make Colonial a part of every benefit program in my groups, I tell them Colonial is the best choice hands down.

I am a broker in Reno, NV. Most brokers here are lame, and too lazy to understand what voluntary benefits are really about.

While other brokers spend time studying other products, find a way to sell it and enroll it, only to discover they now have to service and support it, my Colonial team takes care of all that for me. They make me alot of $$$.

And while the other brokers ignore all the advantages Colonial brings to the market, I am out gaining new business. My Agency is up 31% in new business, and my local Colonial team is a big reason for that.

With Aflac, it's just a bunch of random salespeople who will quit in a short while anyway.:goofy:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
UPDATE 2/18:

I don't know if anyone really cares, but I met with an Aflac manager who is is fed up and moving on to something else. The pressure is too much as they've had three years now of slumping sales, plus losing literally 100,000+ accounts.

He stated that locally here in Reno, the Aflac agents are going to start competing against us brokers. They will be getting appointments with group health carriers and other group products and suddenly be another health broker out in the market.

A couple of Aflac agents do this already, but they can't compete with all the ways my Colonial team helps me.

However, it will annoy most of the other brokers (and businesses).:yes:

Last edited:
As Broker007 has mentioned there are a lot of other carriers out there that have better products and a more "entrepreneurial" business model. I know a couple of folks in the Reno area, one that does quite a bit with AWD. If the manager from AFLAC is looking to go to independent and rep several companies similar to what Broker007 is doing then make sure they reach out, I am with a carrier and Reno as of right now is pretty wide open market for us. If they are looking to be under an established shop in the Reno area then I am more than happy to make an introduction for that as well.

Just saw a commercial on USA advertising for Aflac reps at 1pm. That alone tells you what level quality rep they are looking for.

Whereas it's true that Aflac is constantly advertising for new agents, it's mainly for the same reasons all other commission-based sales companies advertise: it's a tough job, and not everybody is cut out to support themselves without a salaried position.

It's also an ignorant stretch to condemn the entire group of Aflac agents, or any company's agents, for lack of professionalism and expertise. As in any profession, there are very good workers and very bad workers, and quite a few in-between; I've personally know several incredibly poor, fly-by-night insurance agents that gave their company a bad name.

From what I've seen, Aflac (one of the top 10 ethical companies listed in Ethisphere for the past 4 years running) is a cost-effective, service-oriented company that pays its claims more quickly than any other supplemental company out there. They really are #1 in the world for a reason, and all the naysayers and copycat companies can only pant at Aflac's heels.

From what I've seen, Aflac (one of the top 10 ethical companies listed in Ethisphere for the past 4 years running) is a cost-effective, service-oriented company that pays its claims more quickly than any other supplemental company out there.

Aflac Insurance Complaints - Refuses to pay my claim

I suffered end stage renal failure several months ago and have submitted a specified event claim three different times. Aflac has not paid the claim and keeps dragging their feet stating they need additional information, even though my doctor and hospital has provided them with page after page. I would love to know if there are any class action suits pending against this company.

THEY KEEP BEATING AROUND THE BUSH WITH MY CASE TOO. I HAVE SENT ALL THE PAPERWORK THE WANTED FROM ME AND MY DOCTORS AND THEY STILL WANT MORE VERIFICATION ATLEAST THATS WHAT THEY CALL IT.

I have 4 polises one of them is shert term disability and thay are tring to get out of paying me i have had thes polises for about 4 years without useing them you thenk thay would wount to keep paing custermers happy.Thats ok becouse starting monday i'm going to call them AGGEN and if i don't get enewair i am going to the better bisnes buro then i am going to call chanel 2 newes news and see if thay will help me!!

Lawsuit Filed Against AFLAC for Disability Benefits : Florida Insurance Law Blog

My client suffers from a couple of different debilitating medical conditions. He purchased an AFLAC policy at work, which was supposed to pay him when he was off work as a result of illness or injury. The maximum benefit was for 6 months, at which point AFLAC would not pay anymore for that particular medical problem until he had returned to work for a certain time. My client was off work for 6 months, and then went back to work. Shortly thereafter, before the "return to work period" had expired, he had to go back off work for another medical problem.
AFLAC refused to pay, claiming that this was the same medical problem that they had previously paid for and that my client had not been back at work long enough to qualify for additional benefits for that medical problem. The medical evidence shows that although the new medical condition was to the same area of the body, it was a different medical condition. Accordingly, my client would be entitled to recover up to another 6 months of disability insurance benefits.
On Monday, I filed a lawsuit against AFLAC for breach of contract. As with most of my insurance cases, if I win this lawsuit, the insurance company will be required to pay all of my fees and costs, and if I lose, I will work for free.

Back