Creative Marketing Ideas

Since the economy is so HORRID, I am having a hard time making new sales, it seems like NOBODY want's to be prospected for Anything now.

Layoff's are happening here daily, so now when I get a term form from a group, I call the employee and attempt to sell them an individual health policy, roll over 401 K's etc, and I have found the terminated employees take comfort knowing that someone is there to advise them on the issues. ( this is something I never had TIME for before in a good economy, nor did I ever want to sell individual policies) However it is working well and I keep on writing business, which is better than nothing. LOL

Do you guys have any creative idea's for this economy? Has your practice had to make any changes?

Re: Creative Marketing Idea's?

I am doing the same thing with employee's that are terminated.

I went back to cold calling. I have not had to do that in the last 4 years. I just decided to go back to the basics.

What I do is call for a contact name and then mail out some info on my agency. Then follow up with them to see if they are satisfied with their current health plan. From my mailings and call back I am generating about 7% interest. Maybe another 5% for call backs at their renewal time. I just started doing this again last month. So I dont have a closing rate yet. YET! Most of the groups that are interested are under 20 lives. I have one call back next year on a group of 64 lives. Right now I am doing 80 mailings a week.

Not very creative but I could not come up with any other ideas.

:( I'm cold calling to, I used to teach agents how to cold call years ago, now doing it again and it is HORRID!! But your right it's back to basics.

What are you cold calling from? I am trying to grow my X date( renewal date list) and have been using chamber lists, the phone book (bla) and the states work comp renewal list. Any one aware of that? Here in Florida you can go to the state and pull up renewal dates for Work Comp and General Liability, so I assume while they are shopping insurance might as well quote group to.

I will go door to door in the morning, haven't done that in 5 years.

Last edited:

You could still get a shot for $10.

Or flash your AARP card. They may never check it.

Not a bad idea. Can you set up a Secure Horizons table out front?

For me, it's also just the basics: B2B and telemarketing. The key to group sales is a large X-date list. Check out your library for a Refernce USA database, most libraries subscripe and you can access the database for free. Otherwise, go leads for $10 per month isn't a bad way to go.

ABC, are you calling without any sort of contact name? That's a difficult road when telemarketing, although I do it all the time for B2B. There are cheap list sources all over to have a contact name like the two mentioned above. Also, have you tried the mail vs. no-mail approach. I have tested out the results mailing something first followed by a phone call and just a straight phone call. The results were identical...I no longer mail anything.

For me, it's also just the basics: B2B and telemarketing. The key to group sales is a large X-date list. Check out your library for a Refernce USA database, most libraries subscripe and you can access the database for free. Otherwise, go leads for $10 per month isn't a bad way to go.

ABC, are you calling without any sort of contact name? That's a difficult road when telemarketing, although I do it all the time for B2B. There are cheap list sources all over to have a contact name like the two mentioned above. Also, have you tried the mail vs. no-mail approach. I have tested out the results mailing something first followed by a phone call and just a straight phone call. The results were identical...I no longer mail anything.

What was your sample size for both groups? Did you also try to fax information.

Back