Day 2 with Benefit Group (Annoyed)

So I made my first post yesterday. I was hired for a position as an Aflac sales rep with the Silverman Benefits Group in Maryland. From the beginning they promised me a successful career which I was a little shady of. I know there is a lot of negativity regarding Aflac, but I think it is a reputable product just not a very profitable one.

Nevertheless, I just wrapped up my second day and boy did things look different. Every hour they had a new college grad, 40-year-old who lost their job, or young intern in the door for an "interview". We were all instructed to make a list of people we know and call them saying: "Can you please help me out blah blah blah". Meanwhile a room next to us is full of recruiters calling people every 30 seconds saying we have one position available. It seemed as though between yesterday and today their were 10 different faces I had never seen before.

I did a little research about our boss and it appears he lost his insurance license in 2011. He sat in his office all day and have not seen him since the training. In fact when I had a question he was unavailable.

How would you all approach this? What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again? Please reassure me not all insurance groups are like this sleazy pyramid scheme.

Not all insurance groups are this way. Not all AFLAC groups are this way either but many of your experiences are more typical than not.
You've obviously lost confidence in your "career" choice so I would opt out ASAP and get into another area.
If you like this niche, you might find Colonial or Combined more to your liking.
One last thing---quit "looking around" and complaining about things going on around you. You should be training and learning everything you can about the business instead of Tom, Dick, and Harry in the next room.

If you had been doing what was asked of you, you would have been to busy to know everybody's business and may have even been on your way to making money. With your attitude, do them a favor (along with yourself) and don't bother to show up tomorrow.

I have worked at two very reputable insurance agencies selling group benefits. Lots of new faces came and went at both. Some I tried to help but they either just didn't have a clue or didn't have the drive to do what it takes. Agencies know this and keep the fodder coming through the pipeline. Get used to it or choose another business.

Back