Do Independent Agents Actually Make $$ in Worksite Marketing?

List bill requirements in NC effectively make it a no go, but in States where it's offered, do independent agents actually make $$ doing it?

I understand about Aflac, Colonial, etc. but just curious about an independent agent doing this business.

In SC list bill is common, but this whole idea about showing up somewhere and the employer not paying the premium seems like it would be difficult if you were not with a big name captive type company.

Last edited:
Takes a lot of volume and political contacts to make it work. I did some SC enrollments with Ward (Columbia) a few years ago to help out a friend and see if it was something I wanted to do. Lot's of behind the scenes work to get to the enrollment time. Lot's of overhead. Almost impossible to do as a 1 man show.

Long days. Lot's of paper work even though most enrollments are done on a laptop.

Sign up folks in Oct - Nov for Jan eff dates. A lot can happen in that 90 days to generate buyers remorse. You lose about 20% between enrollment and when the first deduction hits their paycheck.

If you want to do this you want to be on top of the heap and need a lot of start up capital to float your business for 6 months minimum.

If you are boots on the ground you are looking at $300/week after expenses. A hard driving rep can make double that. Enrollers that are willing to travel 40 weeks+ can make $60 - $80k after expenses.

I met some husband & wife teams that lived out of an RV and this was their retirement.

One reason why I looked at this was some folks told me this was an easy way to retire from the business, see the country and get paid for an 8 - 4 job.

When I retire, I don't want to have to work that hard.

If you are boots on the ground you are looking at $300/week after expenses. A hard driving rep can make double that. Enrollers that are willing to travel 40 weeks+ can make $60 - $80k after expenses.

You can make more than that sitting on your ass selling health insurance. This is so depressing.

Is that considered a good income? I'm going to be in a state of deep depression when the Obamacare reality sets in.

Thanks for the info.

I heard stories of making $150k for 30 - 40 weeks but I have yet to find anyone who actually does that. Most folks seem to do this more as a hobby than anything else. The ones I met, except for the married couples, were usually divorced and no home place.

I know of one agency that is really effective with this type of product. They specialize in Unions. They play the game with the unions to get the biz. The agency has about 50 producing agents and i doubt if the producers are making more than 80K. The owner is 7 figures.

Pareto's rule works in worksite as it does in any other circumstance. 20% of the agents make 80% of the commissions, and 80% of the agents scramble for the remaining 20% of earnings. The majority of worksite agents make subsistence wages or below, and leave the business after going broke.

The carriers publish stacked sales ranking reports - a significant number of top producers make 7 figures. They make it easy for agents to verify that the pain of learning the business can come with a big payoff.

Back