Emancipated Minor

LoriRutl

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am wondering if anyone here has run into this situation. 17 year old is getting emancipated. Judge wants proof of Health insurance before it is granted. Currently she is on parents group policy through work. Parents are divorced and she is on both group policies. Dad's is primary and Mom's is secondary. Dad's insurance (BCBS) says they will not continue her if emanicpated. Mom's (Humana) says they will continue her if still in school. 17 year old is still in school and plans on going to college.

Dad's attorney is pushing the issue that she will not have health insurance and says she finds it hard in this day and age that an insurance company will cover an emancipated minor. Most insurance companies will cover a child until 23, 24 or even 25 if they continue to be in school full time.

BTW reason for emancipation is because of the father. He is fighting it because he is a complete and total control freak.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have kids covered and it is not an issue. Can't imagine why an emancipated child would be an issue.

FWIW, emancipation varies by state and has nothing to do with divorce decrees or the courts.

If she is healthy, individual coverage would be the best route.

If she were in Iran, girls are considered to be of majority age at 9 while boys must wait until age 15. Something terribly wrong there.

It is only an issue because Dad and his attorney are making it an issue. Really wierd. I may have to remind the attorney that if she is not health licensed that maybe she needs to stick to what she knows.

In Oregon, there is nothing in the DOI that pertains to emancipated minors. It is up to the discretion of the Insurance company.

In Oregon, there is nothing in the DOI that pertains to emancipated minors. It is up to the discretion of the Insurance company

That is probably the case in all states. I doubt it is a mandate . . . yet.

Go with what works and tell the attorney to pound sand.

The fathers attorney has made a poor argument.

1st check with the Mom's group to see if the child is eligible for Cobra. If so that is 18 months of coverage.

2nd you can write an individual policy as long as she is healthly.

3rd. She might be able to qualify for a gov. subsidized health insurance plan through the state.

The fathers attorney has made a poor argument.

1st check with the Mom's group to see if the child is eligible for Cobra. If so that is 18 months of coverage.

2nd you can write an individual policy as long as she is healthly.

3rd. She might be able to qualify for a gov. subsidized health insurance plan through the state.

1)Mom's insurance will cover her, however, Mom is losing coverage due to job change. Going from Captive Agent to Indy). Looking into whether Step-dad's will cover since that is where rest of family is going when Mom loses coverage.

2)Have quote for individual for her.

3)In Oregon she does not qualify because she doesn't have a kid.

Court date is Wednesday. I will keep you updated.

Back