FSA Qualifying Event Appeal Process?

bizprofession

I'm a director of a 70 person call center and I'm looking for information on the appeal process (if it exists) for FSA elections during open enrollment. One of my associates was informed by the benefits admin that the FSA dependent care option would come with a prepaid Mastercard (this is reinforced on the website). Upon enrolling, this associate learned that the prepaid card is only available for medical expenses. For dependent care, she has to contribute into the plan, then essentially pay again to the child care facility, then seek reimbursement from the FSA admin, then wait a week to get paid. For someone in her financial situation, this process is completely cost prohibitive and not worth the marginal tax benefit.

The associate is being informed by HR and by the benefits admin that they can only opt out if they have a qualifying life event. With whom can she speak to appeal the information that was presented during open enrollment, that formed the basis for her decision to enroll? Had she known that she would not receive a prepaid mastercard for FSA dependent care expenses, she certainly would not have enrolled. I'm just wondering if there is a government advocate that can assist. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back