Getting past the decision maker?

Survivor

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm having a lot of success setting up appointments with business owners and/or the benefits decision maker and getting them to agree that there is value in the coverages I offer in my voluntary benefits portfolio.

Occasionally, I get them to sign the agreement immediately and go ahead and set an enrollment time. More often than not though, they say they like the coverages but want to consult with the employees. 9 out of 10 times they end up going to the employees and saying "Hey, y'all want to buy some insurance?" The answer is always no, of course.

This is especially hard whenever some one like AFLAC or Liberty National is already in there, and I try and get my foot in the door. I will build the value in also offering my products with the decision maker, but they always come back and say that the employees didn't want more insurance.

I try and stress that we just want to compare the prices and levels of coverage with each one, but it usually goes no where.

Advice?

If the duck is already in there - don't waste your time.... How many supplemental policies can a company handle...

Voluntary is a rough gig , unless you are writing the group also.

Can't you partner with some group agent and do your voluntary show at the time of group enrollment and give them a slice??

There is a contract you can set up through AGLA with a health broker where any of the groups you write of theirs, they will get a portion of the commission as well as any renewals and new hires from that account direct deposited to them.

JamesI've had some success leading with 521 Cafeteria Plans that targets Mileage & Parking along with Child Care.

I like to know more about these cafeteria plans. Where can I go to get some more info on these types of things.

TXINSURANCEIf the duck is already in there - don't waste your time.... How many supplemental policies can a company handle...

I'd first ask them how many people are signed up with the duck. If they say 2 out of 25, then you know the agent sucked and you shouldn't have any problem getting the business. On the other hand, if they say 22 out of 25, you know they have a pretty good agent and you don't have much of a chance, move on. The duck seems to be everywhere but that doesn't mean you can't get in there. Sell them on the service that you will give them over the duck, don't try and compete with price or product. Show them what they will get out of it, how they, the business owner will benefit by having you over the duck.

I'm having a lot of success setting up appointments with business owners and/or the benefits decision maker and getting them to agree that there is value in the coverages I offer in my voluntary benefits portfolio.

Occasionally, I get them to sign the agreement immediately and go ahead and set an enrollment time. More often than not though, they say they like the coverages but want to consult with the employees. 9 out of 10 times they end up going to the employees and saying "Hey, y'all want to buy some insurance?" The answer is always no, of course.

This is especially hard whenever some one like AFLAC or Liberty National is already in there, and I try and get my foot in the door. I will build the value in also offering my products with the decision maker, but they always come back and say that the employees didn't want more insurance.

I try and stress that we just want to compare the prices and levels of coverage with each one, but it usually goes no where.

Advice?

Advice I was given was to ask the owner to be able to present it to the employees. A reasons you could use is. "Mr Smith, I realize that your people specialize in the widget field, and don't get me wrong I believe I'm a smart guy, but I'm sure you wouldn't throw me behind your widget making machines. If you let me talk to your employees, or even a few key employees I am sure I can show them the benefits as I have shown you and they will see the value too. Plus it keeps them from asking you questions that you in turn will have to call me on to answer. I'm sure you don't have time for that, and that is what I get paid to do. Nine times out of ten if you say, "hey you guys want some (more) insurance?" they will say no, and if I'm turned down by your employees then I will move on."

There is a contract you can set up through AGLA with a health broker where any of the groups you write of theirs, they will get a portion of the commission as well as any renewals and new hires from that account direct deposited to them.

I am with AGLA am a little upset that I know nothing of this, as I'm sure it would have been helpful. What more do you know about this. I am going to have to ask my manager about this!

By the way, as I was typing this, a commercial for AIG worksite products just came on TV! I hope to see a lot more, as this would surely help if business owners were at least as familiar with our program as they were with AFLAC's.

Back