Group LTD with High Monthly Limits

Joeinmaryland

I have a 30 person group with STD/LTD. I am looking for high monthly limits for the $210k key executive (everyone else less than 100k) without resorting to individual LTD. Other than UNUM, any recommendations on a carrier that will write above 8k a month in benefit for the plan?

I haven't asked for limits higher than $6,000, but I can tell you that MetLife and Principal Financial have both been extremely helpful in tweaking plans to meet the needs of the client.

On another note, though, sometimes the business owner cannot collect a disability benefit if his compensation (including profit) is not lowered when he/she is disabled. For instance, if I was disabled today, commissions would still come in, and I would make a profit. If your $210,000 income producing employees fall into this category, you may be trying to insure an income level that wouldn't produce a benefit anyway. I have seen literature lately (I think it was from MetLife), that addressed this problem and offered a new solution.

Principal is also a good one. Spoke with my rep today, but he specifically mentioned that they are able to tweak certain proposals to deal with these situations (we were talking about a law firm).

Back