Health Benefits Captives

Hi and welcome.

Actuary in the captive world...you must get a lot of "deer in the headlights" looks. lol

All kidding aside, I do. We have three captives up and running. Two are closed and used for specialty benefits and one is for medical coverage for small group (50+) lives. We have two others in the process of becoming active.

Difficult to say where the future is with captives. On one hand you have a lot going for you; health care reform, the extra added security of co-sharing of risk, emerging market for health care providers and others. The downside is that most brokers/employers in the under-200 market are way behind the curveball on not only captives, but self-funding.

I see it as an adjunct to our business, but if you can get a few, it can become very profitable.

Let me guess...you work for the two andrews?

No, I don't work for either of the Andrews. I know of them. I've never met them, but I keep up with what they are doing.

It can be very profitable over the longer term, and that's why I'm surprised that brokers in the 50-200 market aren't all over this..

Last edited:
Your right, the captives we have are all with the bigger brokers, or who at least have the level of access or knowledge. Good luck with your endeavors.

I still don't understand why someone would choose a Captive over an ASO plan through a carrier?

I've often wondered that myself. Captives certainly aren't for everyone, and some groups might be better off by themselves to your point ABC.

Last edited:
So when you take the 150 life case and treat them as 1500, does that mean you are able to deliver the network discounts as deep as a 1500 life case?

What networks do captive have access too?

What about lasering?

Brandeeno is correct, but let me expand a little more. And bear in mind, I am referring to acooperative risk-sharing captive. Captives can be structured in a variety of ways.

Larger groups can certainly self-fund on their own andshould, by large I mean somewhere around the 500 life size…give or take alittle. Smaller groups don’t have thecredibility, size, stability, and other characteristics you would look for in aself-funded candidate. The captiveoption I am discussing here costs a little more up-front because of the extrastability. But over time, if operatingwell, it will cost the groups much less than the community-rated market.

The mechanics are simple. Upon meeting the eligibility rules for the captive each employer isunderwritten and obtains their own stop-loss contracts. Let’s assume that the spec is always at$25,000 and the cooperative layer is $25,001 to $250,000. For all claims below the $25k the employer isresponsible. But let’s assume 10 employergroups and employer A had a claim of $35,000. $25,000 is taken from the spec account and the other $10,000 from thecooperative layer. That means that eachof the 10 employers paid $1,000.

A captive is sponsored by someone; a broker, provider entity, etc. They are the ones who areresponsible for the operation of the program. If you think about it, it is just like operating a health plan. So the broker set’s it up to operate withcost controls in place; biometric screening, smoking cessation programs, valueplan designs, and other tools and incentives to control costs and increasequality of care. Over time you can beginto drive down the costs. And don’tforget, you pick and choose who gets into the plan…aka cherry picking. The sponsor has now created something that isunique and can provide a better alternative to the groups (who qualify and arecompliant) and has control over their income/commissions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So when you take the 150 life case and treat them as 1500, does that mean you are able to deliver the network discounts as deep as a 1500 life case?

What networks do captive have access too?

What about lasering?

We do not use lasering. The cooperative layer adds enough protection. Networks are as easy as renting, or as you progress developing your own, if you want.

Last edited:
Breadth and depth of the network is the single most important thing in any self funded arrangement in my opinion. This also holds true with captives. If you have a crappy network, a captive arrangement most likely will fail.

Last edited:
Breadth and depth of the network is the single most important thing in any self funded arrangement in my opinion. This also holds true with captives. If you have a crappy network, a captive arrangement most likely will fail.

It's possible to have access to CIGNA and UHC national PPO networks. These networks are great and offer deep discounts in the 50%+ range. I've also seen a captive that is able to rent the Blue network. You may or may not believe that, but it's happening now.

In the captives I've had experience with, lasers and other risk shifting measures are available to the carrier and they will use them. A carrier is going to prefer an aggregating spec to a laser.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As far as picking who comes in and who doesn't.... That is very important as well. You should only pick the best risks. I have built a demographic model to screen the risks, but it's not working as well as I would like. Back to the drawing board....

Don't know who you work for, but I am building one right now. It will tell the broker immediatly whether the risk is good, bad or indifferent. If it's ok, it then gets sent on for a quote. We are using it for captives and level-premium self-funding groups.

Latest posts

Back