How Many EB Accounts Do You Have?

If you have resources, efficiency, and some experience, handling 67 groups should not be an overload. There are always extenuating circumstances, though, like large groups, self-funding, HR tasks that you do for the client, etc., or a small office where you wear many hats.

Efficiency and experience on that block of business are key. Another essential factor is that you aren't handling eligibility and enrollments (functioning as their HR department). Our small group account manager (2-50) handles 90-95 accounts and gets by just fine despite it being her first year on this block of business.

I'm an account executive (basically take over the relationship from the producer and manage renewals, consulting, compliance, carrier negotiation, etc). All but the marketing and service aspects basically. Presently handling 48 accounts of which I inherited ~35 in August.

Despite recent inheritance, I've had no troubles keeping up with my 50-1500 life clients this renewal season. I hope to comfortably handle 60-70 accounts within the next 2 years but my service team needs to step it up and take some basic things off my plate before I'd be super comfortable tackling a lot more.

Hoping our move to Applied Epic in April will help us project manage at least a little bit more efficiently.

My middle market account managers each handle 30-40 accounts but many of them are super high maintenance legacy clients. Our expectation is 60-70 each as they become more acclimated to their books over the next few years.

Last edited:
Back