Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Employee Benefits Forum

Reply to Major Medical Vs Mini Plans     
Old 06-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #1
Guru
James on Major Medical Vs Mini Plans - Insurance Forum

State: James is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
James is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Major Medical Vs Mini Plans Major Medical Vs Mini Plans
Well, in Tennessee the Mini Plan won out! Governor Bredeson has effectively inacted the "Cover Tennessee" Plan using the argument that you can't force people into something they basically don't see a need for (however wrong that may be). Plus he then effectively position the argument that the majority of people in lower middle income stand a greater chance of being financially burden with medical treatment in the range of 15-25 grand then a catostropic event and cost. I think if there were more Democrats like Bredeson I would be more likely to vote Democratic.

http://www.covertn.gov/

I have to admit, I agree with Governor Bredeson.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Major Medical Vs Mini Plans

Old 06-17-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
Guru
James on Major Medical Vs Mini Plans - Insurance Forum

State: James is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
James is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Major Medical Vs Mini Plans James is the thread starter for: Major Medical Vs Mini Plans

What I find interesting is that some here that scream you better have your E&O ready whenever you sell limited plans. Now you have a State that endorses the Limited Plan, I would think with that a person would have a hell of a time sueing because they brought a limited plan instead of a major plan. Of course I'm assuming that full disclosure at the time of sale.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Guru

State: Crabcake Johnny is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to Crabcake Johnny
Crabcake Johnny is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Major Medical Vs Mini Plans
Right. It's like a bunch of new car salesman calling up a guy who has an ad in the paper for a 1988 Chevy for $1,500 and saying he's an unethical whore. You should buy a new car or take the bus.

I just sold CareFirst Personal Comp to a 45 year old smoker for $98 a month. I guess I'm going to hell, getting sued, losing my appointment and getting my license revoked because he's got a $500 cap on drugs.

But it must be a nice view from up there for some people.

Last edited by Crabcake Johnny; 06-17-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Guru
somarco on Major Medical Vs Mini Plans - Insurance Forum

State: somarco is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
somarco is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
There is only one reason TN (and other states such as MA) are "endorsing" the mini-med plan . . . costs.

TennCare was a comprehensive major medical plan and a financial disaster.

Already MA has scaled back what must and must not be covered under their health insurance mandate for one reason . . . costs. What was designed in the General Assembly and given an arbitrary cost figure did not hold up in the real world once the carriers were given the opportunity to price the product. The benefits were scaled back and it still did not fit. Now, with the July 1 date bearing down on them, they are back to the drawing board one more time to figure out how to provide amnesty for those who still cannot afford the new, watered down coverage.

A mini-med is like wetting the bed. It may seem right at the time but eventually you need to do something about the problem.

The doctor is in. Five cents please.
GA Medigap Quotes
Georgia Medicare Plans
(404) 252-5859

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   Type the result for 11 x 3 I agree to forum rules 

Old 06-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Guru

So you're saying that when price comes into play anything is better than nothing?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #6

State: Guest is an Insurance Agent from
Originally Posted by john_petrowski View Post
So you're saying that when price comes into play anything is better than nothing?
I think most of us will agree to the above. I won't sell any of the 'basic' or 'essential' plans of the Blues (that typically have OP caps and/or limited Rx coverage) to people who can afford a better plan (ie. they live in a nice house, have a BMW, etc.) If they want a crap plan (and I them them its a crap plan) or a mini-med from NASE, I tell them to get it from someone else or go direct.

On the other hand, if I'm talking to a recent college grad looking for a job or someone recently laid off or simply someone you would classify as 'working poor' I will suggest a STM (BTW, Blue Shield of CA just pulled out of the market. Don't know why.) or a mini-med because [B]something is better than nothing[/B].

Personally, I think all of us who sell healthcare should be looking for a "Plan B" because other states will follow the Mass. and Tenn. leads and we're going to be cut out of the system. Myself, I do work-sups for Colonial and looking to move into the annunity senior market. Health coverage will be a 'commodity' in 36 months (one year after a new administration takes over, assuming a Dem will win, and I don't see how one can lose... if the name isn't Clinton.)

Al
Old 06-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Guru
somarco on Major Medical Vs Mini Plans - Insurance Forum

State: somarco is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
somarco is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Al, my plan B is to continue doing what I have been doing since 1975. Write health insurance where I can and pick up the discards from agents who claim the sky is falling.

Who knows? I may even get a CA, TN & MA license just to pick up the slack when I run out of folks to sell in GA. I believe there is plenty of gold left to be mined in those areas.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Guru

Originally Posted by al3 View Post
I think most of us will agree to the above. I won't sell any of the 'basic' or 'essential' plans of the Blues (that typically have OP caps and/or limited Rx coverage) to people who can afford a better plan (ie. they live in a nice house, have a BMW, etc.) If they want a crap plan (and I them them its a crap plan) or a mini-med from NASE, I tell them to get it from someone else or go direct.

On the other hand, if I'm talking to a recent college grad looking for a job or someone recently laid off or simply someone you would classify as 'working poor' I will suggest a STM (BTW, Blue Shield of CA just pulled out of the market. Don't know why.) or a mini-med because something is better than nothing.

Personally, I think all of us who sell healthcare should be looking for a "Plan B" because other states will follow the Mass. and Tenn. leads and we're going to be cut out of the system. Myself, I do work-sups for Colonial and looking to move into the annunity senior market. Health coverage will be a 'commodity' in 36 months (one year after a new administration takes over, assuming a Dem will win, and I don't see how one can lose... if the name isn't Clinton.)

Al
I do not know what's in store for individual coverage but in the very short 4 years I've been in the biz I've already seen too many negative changes. Without missing a year each year I've been in the biz since '03 rates have gone up, benefits have gone down and less and less players are in the game. Now GR is capping meds on most of their plans which doesn't bode well for the future.

The saying is expect the best but plan for the worst. I am really ramping up my business over the course of the next few years. The gravy train may stop - it may go on for another 50 years. If it goes on then great, if it stops in a few years I wouldn't mind a few hundred thou in the bank until I decide which business to get into next.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Guru
salpro22 on Major Medical Vs Mini Plans - Insurance Forum

State: salpro22 is an Insurance Agent from Texas
salpro22 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Exactly, and if the @#$@ hits the fan, there is always life/disability/medicare insurance, etc.; mortgages, commercial real estate, mail order brides OR groomes, yadda yadda. Pick the niche!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Guru
senior-advisor-indiana on Major Medical Vs Mini Plans - Insurance Forum

State: senior-advisor-indiana is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
senior-advisor-indiana is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
It makes me sick to hear about agents being cut out of the loop.
Reply to Major Medical Vs Mini Plans 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Employee Benefits Forum