My personal experience with Aflac

Re: Working for Aflac?

We have excellent health insurance through my wife's employer, but there are so many different costs associated with treating this crap that it would blow your mind. Unfortunately I never bought a cancer policy on myself, I wish I had.

and is it all covered thru your Health Plan and you are still able to work......

I am able to work 90% of the time. If you met me on the street you'd never know I have lung cancer. They're going to have to cut my heart out and beat it with a stick to get rid of me.

No, everything is not covered. Even after meeting OOP costs there is so much more in associated costs.

That I have not kept up with. It's not insignificant. I'll give you one example. After diagnosis I went looking for second opinions. First to Duke University Medical Center, then two different trips to M.D. Anderson in Houston for a total of 10 days there, and back home to Georgia where I went to Emory. Travel expenses, airfare, lodging, meals, it adds up quickly.

Yes, I am able to work 90% of the time, but I know, that, at times, I'm not nearly as efficient as I was before. And I know that I'm losing some deals because some prospects think I won't be around. So there is the lost income aspect also, not enough lost for DI to pick up.

An investment of 40ish per month would have meant a lot of money to me.

Ah what?? those companies you listed do not pay cash to the policy holder.

Now the #30 best company to work for comes from the salaried employees and not the agents this is true. But an agent is only as good as his/her back office. So if you do not like to work with a fortune 500 company #164 and [SIZE=+0]#30 best company to work for that is up to you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]AFLAC did not become a $60 billion dollar company and the number one provider of sec.125 plans in the country by being a bad place for agents to make a living. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Fact CTIT is not the largest company in the world, it is #14. Walmart is the #1 largest company in the world.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]And the hits just keep coming---[/SIZE]

Hodaka, to be frank, you really dont know what your talking about... maybe these companies dont send you cold hard green crisp 100 dollar bills but they do send out checks DIRECTLY to clients, not to hospitals or doctors, this is called an indemnity plan.... Same exact thing you AFLACERS can offer.... unless AFLAC actually sends out cold hard cash ...

I know that CITI is not the biggest company in the world, I was being sarcastic, but the truth of the matter is that these big recruiters (AFLAC, PRIMERICA, NAA, MEGA LIFE&HEALTH) are all looked down on by seasoned agents.... they take advantage of the young blood in the industry... WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!

Let me tell you... I used to be a Regional Sales Manager for A.L. Williams (Now its called Primerica). And we used to specifically recruit part time people without a license b/c they didnt know any better... We paid new agents 25% on TERM INSURANCE! It was rediculas, but, we had credibility... We were helping out the middle income families, we offered free services in financial planning, and then when CITI bought us out, all of a sudden we were owned by the largest company in the financial sect....

Point of the story, it was a numbers game, I had to recruit so many people, to make this much this year... It was a terrible thing I did to all these new agents... and I barely GOT BY...

I would encourage you to look at other options... the fact that you didnt know there were other companies out there with the same plans at AFLAC shows how long you've been in the industry...

I dont mean to be rude, or talk down... but honestly look at some other options... you may even think that AFLAC is still the place for you... either way, you have my blessing...

I really do wish you the best, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you...

I'm independent. I wrote them to get appointed as having one more tool in my tool box. Due to lack of production, they terminated my appointment. About a year later another recruiter came out to get me appointed as a "Broker." "AFLAC didn't understand that independent brokers could be a main stay of their business. They've changed that attitude." "OK Mr. Recruiter, I'll sign up again, but you need to understand that I will present AFLAC as a solution if my clients feel it is appropriate for their businesses." Well, once again, due to lack of production, they've sent me a letter stating they are going to cancel my appointment. OK, AFLAC, no problemo. You lose.

Just as employers are being sued for bad choices in implementing 401(k) plans.... I believe we are headed for a time that employees will sue their employer for NOT providing them "best-of-breed" for a particular product.

For example..... I offer AFLAC's cancer plan, but Colonials plan for critical illness (which would include cancer) was a far superior plan and would have cost less, but paid out more.... why shouldn't I sue my employer.

(For all you who will respond with the.... "...the employer doens't "endorse" it" line...save it..... if the ER is making it available (and most do, along with all the other benefits)... then it won't be a stretch to break the endorsement veil.

Just a thought.

I'm independent. I wrote them to get appointed as having one more tool in my tool box. Due to lack of production, they terminated my appointment. About a year later another recruiter came out to get me appointed as a "Broker." "AFLAC didn't understand that independent brokers could be a main stay of their business. They've changed that attitude." "OK Mr. Recruiter, I'll sign up again, but you need to understand that I will present AFLAC as a solution if my clients feel it is appropriate for their businesses." Well, once again, due to lack of production, they've sent me a letter stating they are going to cancel my appointment. OK, AFLAC, no problemo. You lose.

I wrote my last policy with them 5 yrs ago, and the lady cancelled it two years later. Last year they terminated me, due to non-production, and THIS MONTH I get a $20 bill from them. MR. AFLAC Man, tell me what that is for?

BTW, the Colonial Rep is nicer, understands this is not my main line, and appreciates all the business, little as it may be, that I bring. And, yes, the individual receives a check, which is as good as money.

Ok as for Colonial the "Voluntary Benefits" pays to the policy holder, but not on all claims. Some benefits are split with the policy holder and the care provider.
Now as for Conseco, I worked for Conseco (Bankers LIfe Colonial Penn) depending on what policy you have predicates who gets paid, some policies have a schedule on how much the policy holder will receive and how much the care provider will receive.

Again AFLAC is the only company that pays all claims to the policy holder.

To answer the DI question, AFLAC offers short term DI and pays up to 65% of the salary, and up to 24 months.

Next is the cancer plan. Here AFLAC has the best of breed bar none.
$5000 first occurrence, $300 per-day(up to 365 days) radiation & chemotherapy, next is the experimental treatment benefit $300 per-day(up to 365 days), next Reconstructive surgery benefit $300-$3000.
Now what other cancer policy offers the experimental & reconstructive
benefit??? none that I know of....

Lets face some facts here, AFLAC has the best name-brand recognition in the business, thank you Mr. Duck.

The $20 dollar check AFLAC sent you, if that offend you then send it back.

Back