New Job-Good Benefits

bdavis19

I have been offered a new job and they said they provide Aflac Insurance for their employees. Are they are good provider? Any tips on what to avoid or what to look for?

I have been offered a new job and they said they provide Aflac Insurance for their employees. Are they are good provider? Any tips on what to avoid or what to look for?

Aflac is not real health insurance. It is just supplemental insurance that helps with small out of pocket expenses, but only in certain circumstances.

There are multiple different types of Aflac policies out there, so it would depend on what they offer you. But none of it is even close to being a replacement for actual health insurance.

If that is the only type of insurance they offer, then they do not offer "good" benefits. Or really even a real benefits package at all.

Aflac (supplemental products) should only be bought after you have real health insurance, long term disability insurance, and life insurance.

Aflac does offer short term disability, but not long term. They offer life insurance, but its crappy and expensive compared to individual products you could buy.

They offer cancer insurance, critical illness, accident, & hospital indemnity. None of that is going to help you if you have strep throat and need a dr visit and prescription.

It also does not satisfy the government requirement to have a "Qualified Health Plan". So you would receive the yearly tax penalty for not having Health Insurance.

Most people wonder if Aflac is health insurance. Well let’s clear the air for you. Aflac is NOT health insurance, rather Aflac offers supplemental insurance.

So what is supplemental insurance? In short, supplemental insurance is insurance that helps you pay your medical bills in the case of a covered injury or illness; it’s insurance that is paid directly to the policyholder (yourself) rather than to healthcare providers.

While most health insurance companies do a terrific job of covering the lion’s share of the cost of a hospital visit, the policyholder typically has to pay some amount of money out of pocket, such as deductibles and co-pays.

Aflac provides supplemental insurance for individuals and family members to help pay benefits your major medical cover doesn't provide.

And AFLAC products have much higher commissions as a percentage of premium because otherwise, it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to sell them. That also means that they pay relatively little in claims.

DO NOT use them for your primary insurance. You at least need a high deductible HSA qualified plan. I'm going to have to bail back onto the exchange if I can't rig a group. I'll enroll over Thanksgiving to beat the rush for a 1/1 effective date.

Check to see whether Farm Bureau offers an underwritten plan if you or your wife can pass. FB currently uses UHC's administration and commercial network in TN.

Back