Question About Group

SouthernComfort

Guru
100+ Post Club
I ran into a pest control business who has 5 different locations each incorporated individually but owned by one individual. Can I count each location as a stand alone business or do I have to count all employees as a group?

If I do individually, more than likely I will do exchange plans, if I need to do group then self funded.

I ran into a pest control business who has 5 different locations each incorporated individually but owned by one individual. Can I count each location as a stand alone business or do I have to count all employees as a group?

If I do individually, more than likely I will do exchange plans, if I need to do group then self funded.

I think you can do separate groups as long as all 5 have comparable policies. What he cant do is have group insurance for one and not the others, or vice versa.

How many FT employees are you talking about? All in GA or do they have offices out of state? Do they get rid of snakes?

If there is a corp holding company in place they can use 1 group policy, otherwise it is separate for each location.

I will assume that you are correct that there is common ownership, no offense intended, just making sure.

Step one is to determine if the group is large or small. Assuming common ownership, it sounds like you have over-50 fte lives. As for quotes, you have leeway to do what makes best sense for the group, meaning a single large group, 5 small groups on their own, or some combination within.

You can safely do self-funding down to 10 lives, so do not discount that as an option. There is no requirement that the policies be similar, you may have a HR/morale issue though.

Back