Selling small group (2 to 9) via internet/telephone

Since I started dialing into small businesses mostly in Georgia and also in South Carolina I'm amazed at the number of companies that don't have insurance for themselves or employees.

Case in point:

Dialed into a restaurant in Spartenburg today. So happens the kitchen manager answered the phone. The guy needed health coverage on his wife and child, and also wanted life on everyone on an individual basis.

The guy says - Tom you ought to speak to my owner about a group plan for our 15 employees. So I did. Gathered the census and it was for 3 managers with spouses and a total of 5 children. 12 employees - 6 with spouses and a total of 15 children.

Put together a "best case scenario" prescreen quote and they like it.

Now - I get paid $375 an employee first year - $5775 commission!

$35 per month renewal per employee level thereafter . . .

So doing groups over the phone is very doable.

I'll have to send an assistant to the business for the orientation - but everything else handled via phone, email and fax.

Amazing . . .

Tom

Your naivete is showing.

There's a reason that there's no group health plan for the employees - the business won't/can't pay for his/her share!

"Doing groups over the phone is very doable."

A tad premature. After you've picked up a check for the first month's premium, enrolled it, and actually gotten paid - let us know then...

Until then, it's air.

. .

So doing groups over the phone is very doable.

I'll have to send an assistant to the business for the orientation - but everything else handled via phone, email and fax.

Amazing . . .

Tom

The business will not want to pay for the employee portion.
Go back and sell the indiviudual plan and run a list bill.

Why are you afraid to meet the group?

Your naivete is showing.

There's a reason that there's no group health plan for the employees - the business won't/can't pay for his/her share!

"Doing groups over the phone is very doable."

A tad premature. After you've picked up a check for the first month's premium, enrolled it, and actually gotten paid - let us know then...

Until then, it's air.

The business is going to do 75% of the premium and carve out the managers and do 100%.

But I agree - until I get the check you never know.

What I like about it is all I do is get the census, get the members pre-screen health statements and if taken - have someone go on location for the orientation. The implementation department of the carrier handles everything else - including quoting and closing the deal.

The business will not want to pay for the employee portion. Go back and sell the indiviudual plan and run a list bill. Why are you afraid to meet the group?

Yes - they are willing to pay the majority of the expense.

I'm not afraid to meet them. They are 4 hours a way. It's easier to send an assistant - unless of course I want to play some golf while away.

Tom

The business is going to do 75% of the premium and carve out the managers and do 100%.

But I agree - until I get the check you never know.

What I like about it is all I do is get the census, get the members pre-screen health statements and if taken - have someone go on location for the orientation. The implementation department of the carrier handles everything else - including quoting and closing the deal.

Yes - they are willing to pay the majority of the expense.

I'm not afraid to meet them. They are 4 hours a way. It's easier to send an assistant - unless of course I want to play some golf while away.

Tom

What carrier are you writing them with for group coverage?

Well - I can't give all my secrets.

But they are a very strong regional with a HMO / PPO base and they have a strong relationship with Kaiser Permanente in Georgia and Ohio.

They aren't the cheapest - but seem to be the strongest.

Tom

Split the commission with me and I'll go meet with them and be thier "go to" person. I'm about 30 minutes away.

Better yet, I might just call some restaurants and show them the BCBS of SC rates which are lower and just get the business. Just kidding.

If you wanna play golf up here, let me know.

AHCP i presume

LOL - not for the group.

AHCP is a cool group. I am part of them with Golden Rule and American National.

Right. Sure they are. A restaurant? The $64,000 question? Why aren't they doing it now then?

New Owner. Previous owner didn't see the value in healthcare and employee benefits - this one does.

Split the commission with me and I'll go meet with them and be thier "go to" person. I'm about 30 minutes away.

Better yet, I might just call some restaurants and show them the BCBS of SC rates which are lower and just get the business. Just kidding.

If you wanna play golf up here, let me know.

I have plenty of people that will make the trip for $200 + expenses.

Since this is my first "real" group - if it takes - I may come do it just to play a few courses. What courses do you recommend. I suck at golf. I determine my score by drinking one beer per hole. If I score 18 - I win!

Tom

Back