Starting tomorrow - Going to run AFLAC out of town!

Hi all,

I am starting tomorrow not only as a new insurance agent as I just past my test 2 weeks ago but as an independent agent. It feels good for the fact that I am literally my own boss but also scary for the fact that I have no real training. I'm working under a long time family friend some 8 hours away who's got me going in a general direction and who I call on when questions arise but other then that I'm on my own.

I am going to start by focussing my efforts on the trucking industry especially locally owned companies for specific resons.

But I would also like to attempt to steal away some of AFLAC's customers knowing that I can cut their rates by up to 50% by simply offering benefits from companies that don't advertise with ducks during the Super Bowl. Have any of you had success in doing this?

If so what kind of advice can you give to a complete and total newbie?

Thanks

.......here goes nuttin :goofy:

not going to happen.....they don't buy off need but rather name on these kinda deals....

But I would also like to attempt to steal away some of AFLAC's customers knowing that I can cut their rates by up to 50% by simply offering benefits from companies that don't advertise with ducks during the Super Bowl.

I don't know. I kind of like the "We don't spend money on ducks" sales approach. I don't think I would get specific on how much you can save. I think I would say something like "significant" or "a lot" and let an illustration speak for itself.

It is a hard market to break any way you look at it, however. Congratulations on your enthusiasm in any event.

I like the spirit! Good for you getting all fired up.

So what are you goint to sell from a supplemental standpoint that is 50% cheaper than the Duck?

If you really do have a good product that pays claims that is 50% less then that should be your selling point.

You may have trouble pulling "duck people" off of Section 125 plans unless its enrollment time. Other than that, GO FOR IT!

Ignore the naysayers and Sell YOURSELF and your SERVICE (and savings), not any particular brand (they can always buy a stuffed duck at the toy store or win one at the state fair), as it is fairly well-known that AFLAC is a revolving door agent-wise, so they may not be happy with their current agent(s) and their service.

The reality is that the business owner is the ulitimate decision maker and unless the employees are complaining to him already, it's not his money anyway. It would cost him time and likely money for his employees to switch. I believe you will have a tough time with this angle.

Word of advice, don't bash (or even mention) the "duck". Makes you look bad. Focus only on benefits and savings.

I once knew an agent at NML who lost a $100k annual premium case for making a remark about "Snoopy". The case was awarded to a Met agent. People like Snoopy and people like ducks (heck, even that annoying gecko has his moments).

If you get a chance, read Frank Bettgers's (sp?) How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success Selling Life Insurance. He makes a point (ages ago) about the competition.

Back