Summary Plan Description Responsibility

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
As a broker, what are the varieties of involvement of the group insurance broker in assisting the employer in their getting a Summary Plan Description written?

There is some confusion at one of my groups, and I have access to a benefits admin service I can recommend. I think their payroll service who does many HR/benefits services may have that on the list, but I don't think it's up to date. I just convinced them to switch to the Cobra services provider I have access to as the payroll services online process was almost impossible to use effectively, now that the group is age rated.

I can recommend the SPD service, not sure what involvement most brokers have.

As a broker, what are the varieties of involvement of the group insurance broker in assisting the employer in their getting a Summary Plan Description written?

There is some confusion at one of my groups, and I have access to a benefits admin service I can recommend. I think their payroll service who does many HR/benefits services may have that on the list, but I don't think it's up to date. I just convinced them to switch to the Cobra services provider I have access to as the payroll services online process was almost impossible to use effectively, now that the group is age rated.

I can recommend the SPD service, not sure what involvement most brokers have.

When you say involvement, you need to tread carefully. In most small to medium sized groups, the employer does tend to look towards the broker as a participant in the development of the spd. There is a legal aspect to the spd as well as a benefits/services aspect. I have relied on the administrator to write the spd (when they are qualified ) from a legal and process perspective but the broker should add his comments regarding the plan of benefits, services, etc.

Does this help?

Latest posts

Back