Why is It So Hard to Find Agents Who Want to Work?

I've heard no one mention the key word in all this:

PASSION

No matter what line of work you are in, if there is no passion for what you do or represent, then you will fail. I know of an entomologist at the CDC, here in Atlanta. He has been there for 18 years, and travels around the globe, stays at exotic hotels, and gets treated better than any "prize trip" offered by an insurance company if you sell enough policies.

He has a PASSION for what he does.

If you:
  • offer free advise to everyone who asks, without expecting a financial reward, you have passion
  • love playing around with different scenarios, to see the best outcome for the client or prospect, you have passion
  • feel like you don't have to have every conversation rotate around what you do, but still will talk about it when asked, you have passion
  • volunteer with organizations offering information, on a regular basis, just so the people will have the information when needed, you have passion
MTCW

I have a great training program and a proven system but having a hard time to get people to follow it or to even get out there and work. You would think with all the people looking for work you would be able to find hard workers that would like to create something for themselves rather than have it handed to them.

Your post conveys a confused understanding of human nature. Insurance sales isn't a business that generally lends itself to an employee arrangement - it's entrepreneurial.

Anyone fairly decent, who's got the balls/ovaries, will work for themselves - where they can make a LOT more money - and enjoy independence.

If it were me, in order to keep the decent folk for a longer period of time, and weed out the peckerwoods, I would have a track that led to them owning their own business.

More profitable for you in the long run. Win-win.

From running a small agency for a few years there were basically two methods:

1) Reduced comp in exchange for free leads and ton of hand holding
2) Street + bonuses with almost no hand holding

Guess which system worked out the best? You guess it - street + bonuses. Under that system you get the best of the best.

Under any kind of comp below street, regardless of what else you're offering to make up for it you'll end up attracting dreks.

I know of an entomologist at the CDC, here in Atlanta. He has been there for 18 years, and travels around the globe, stays at exotic hotels, and gets treated better than any "prize trip" offered by an insurance company if you sell enough policies. He has a PASSION for what he does.

I feel you Bob, but let's face it; anyone with a passion for INSECTS is a little creepy, and is probably living in their own private hell - regardless of how nice a hotel they get to stay in!

:D

Your post conveys a confused understanding of human nature. Insurance sales isn't a business that generally lends itself to an employee arrangement - it's entrepreneurial.

Anyone fairly decent, who's got the balls/ovaries, will work for themselves - where they can make a LOT more money - and enjoy independence.

If it were me, in order to keep the decent folk for a longer period of time, and weed out the peckerwoods, I would have a track that led to them owning their own business.

More profitable for you in the long run. Win-win.

Funny you should say that. I saw on CNN's website an article about a business owner in Chicago. He owns a cleaning company and his employees stayed an average of four months. Finally he decided to offer classes and job training for a career they picked. The only catch was, they had to stay with him for two years. Now, almost two years later he hasn't lost a single employee.

The fact of the matter is, the people you are hiring don't see themselves as insurance agents and don't really want to be one. The people that do probably want to own their own agency, and don't see your offer as very attractive.

Back