Why is It So Hard to Find Agents Who Want to Work?

The reason may be because those who do "want to work" already are. Those who don't want to are spending their time looking for that magic something that will bring clients to them without them having to spend any time doing it.

This job should be called "prospecting for insurance", not "selling insurance". Prospecting is work, selling is the fun easy part.

Run an ad stating that you are looking for insurance agents to prospect for clients and I'll bet no one answers. However, run an ad that says earn big commissions "selling" insurance and I'll bet you are swamped with applicants.

Very good point Frank.

I have this kind problem many times in my life. The problem u'r telling , this is the truth of our life. U'll do or atleast try for new things but there will be noone to follow it and to pay that respect at your work. Whatever you r doing, u have to do it by your own metal.

-------------------------------------------

Belmont Thornton
Payment Protection Insurance Claim Company
PPI Claims | Unfair Payment Protection Refunds | PPI Claim Company

From running a small agency for a few years there were basically two methods:

1) Reduced comp in exchange for free leads and ton of hand holding
2) Street + bonuses with almost no hand holding

Guess which system worked out the best? You guess it - street + bonuses. Under that system you get the best of the best.

Under any kind of comp below street, regardless of what else you're offering to make up for it you'll end up attracting dreks.

So, I know this is under employee benefits, but I like the topic so I'm going to respond for my scenario. Do you feel giving compensation levels such as 75% on new biz, 60% renewal and after that you own the book would attract the right type of players to my agency? I'm on the P&C side.

How would that eliminate people starting out and lazy people? Wouldn't they just see that as more "potential" money and a way not to have to work so hard?

Just playing devil's advocate.

Have to agree with medicareplan about the website.
Main page is pretty garbled.

Are you insurance agency?
A Communications Company? (what is that a radio station?)

If you are making so much money with your agency and offering me an opportunity, I would be TOTALLY turned off by the PrePaid legal link on the home page.
I want to work for a FOCUSED agency owner, not an MLM guy.

I hope you can take constructive criticism!
All the best.

I have this kind problem many times in my life. The problem u'r telling , this is the truth of our life. U'll do or atleast try for new things but there will be noone to follow it and to pay that respect at your work. Whatever you r doing, u have to do it by your own metal.

-------------------------------------------

Belmont Thornton
Payment Protection Insurance Claim Company
PPI Claims | Unfair Payment Protection Refunds | PPI Claim Company

Just out of curiousity, did "u" save a lot of time by avoiding actually spelling out the lengthy, complicated word "you" by instead substituting the letter "u?" And is replacing "are" with the decidely-less-challenging "r" a more efficient use of your time?

Who are we kidding. This is not a problem exclusive to the insurance industry. I hated working corporate jobs because people did not want to work.

MOST people do the bare minimum and are waiting for the bell to ring at 5pm - let's face facts. Very few people on this plant are driven.

Looking for solid, sharp people isn't a problem for small agencies. It's a problem for Fortune 500 companies.

Healthagent, you hit the nail on the head. Anyone trying to recruit and develop a sales force has a difficult time:

First, because of the challenges of the business that have been well discussed in this thread: i.e. commission based pay, rejection, long hours, lack of family support, etc.

However, the other overriding factor is that in our society it has became even more difficult to find anyone who wants to work period. I have operated three different businesses and the biggest problem in every one of them is to find good employees who want to work.

Back