Why is It So Hard to Find Agents Who Want to Work?

WBS

I have been selling Life and Health for 7 years now and have been the top producer in my office. As a business owner i dont want to be that lead dog. I have a great training program and a proven system but having a hard time to get people to follow it or to even get out there and work. You would think with all the people looking for work you would be able to find hard workers that would like to create something for themselves rather than have it handed to them. Anyone else experiencing this?

A few things, but the truth of the matter is this is a type of work that requires a mindset people are actually trained to not have. Tons of folks get burnt by agencies that demand too much, screw them, aren't competent, etc and that sort of turns folks off to the idea of selling insurance altogether.

How are you recruiting? Not for nothing, but your website doesn't inspire much confidence which may also contribute to someone's skepticism. If you have a great training program, you should get an awesome website to match!

The question is when did we learn that? After answering that question, we need to figure out how not to "teach" our kids the same thing.

Sales generally attracts people who don't have a strong work ethic.

I can't disagree with your statement. However, work is relative, don't you think? I know some have observed me and said I don't "work very hard". "Work" is different in this business. But, the bottom line is always how much is earned, can't escape that fact. I have worked one case in a year and "vacationed" the rest of the year, have worked a 100 cases and barely survived.

What kind of people are you recruiting?

Do they have a sales back ground?

You could write a book on this subject so it certainly isn't going to be summed up in a paragraph or two on a forum. Remember this is the rule and there will always be exceptions.

Hard working people aren't looking for work - they're working and making money. When they are looking for work, proven producers want stable salary based jobs - possibly with some commission attached. Truly proven producers can write their own ticket if they choose commission-based jobs. They already know they can get hired just about anywhere so they get pick of the litter.

Most people only thrive in a "you're fired if you're not at work by 8am" environment. That's just how most humans function.

Most people view commission-based jobs as "scams" or not stable. Then you have the wife factor. Many wives cannot cope with commission-based pay and never deal with it. They can't mentally handle the roller coaster ride.

Then you have one more obstacle. Producers who are solid, self-motivated with spouses who can cope want to max out on commissions. They don't tend to take deals where they get a reduced percentage.

Everyone wants to start at the top. No one today wants to start at the bottom and scratch and claw to the top.
I starved and went heavily into debt the first 6 or seven years of my career. Now after 32 years, I've got it made. 100% of my new business is referral. I spend zero dollars on advertising.
Most people looking for work have a heavy debt load. Consequentially, they need a job that guarantees a set salary. With a salary, there is no need to be hungry.
No one today is willing to go through what I went through. The sacrifice is too great.
I quit a $24k/yr job in 1978 to enter the insurance industry. My first year, I made $9k. My friends all thought I was crazy.

Back