Yikes! 2 EE's in a Week, ER Bills Refused by Anthem

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Who in corporate made this decision about medical review procedures? Anthem has sent a letter to each of these employees, with separate ER/hospital admissions--to different hospitals-- stating that by their review of necessity, their hospitalization and ER visit were considered not medically necessary, and the claim would be refused. :swoon: Do we now have to tell everyone to call the 24/7 nurse line from the ambulance? (imagined call: call back 911 and tell them you are going to use telemedicine line, stay at home)

Way to do customer loyalty, Anthem. With the first EE, I did a 3 way call to claims and was told that the ER doc needs to explain the reasoning to a review board at an 800 # that my client says has about a 20 min. hold time. Like this will happen easily.

After several email jail calls, I directed the first one to go to the hospital admin/billing, because they will care about getting paid. They are helping the first one. Just now got off the phone with the second one, who is calling the dept for that EE's admission.

How to help as an agent, my first full year in modern managed claims environment as a full time agent. This is an important client for me. Not like all of them aren't but they are also friends.

If this is the type of thing they are going to do, hospitals/staff should be warned to handle cases with the kind of documentation needed, and be instructed on standards. Or something. Not just traumatize folks who are ill and feeling fragile with threats of non-payment.

Last edited:
I commend you for taking the time to help.

For what it's worth, it is very unusual for a health plan to deny these types of charges. And while I understand your frustration, I can't help but wonder if either the expenses were truly unnecessary ( as per Anthem ), or if the personnel screwed-up on the diagnosis. Not to defend Anthem, but just because someone is in an ambulance does not make the trip medically necessary. Your attempt to fix this by using the hospital admin/billing is often the best way to go.

Thanks, I figured the dept. that "follows the money" would be the most motivated, and they deal with carriers.
I think the patient may have a good argument that the ER docs and hospital should have known protocol.
Your commendation is appreciated. I won't go to the hospital myself, but I will coach & help where it's appropriate.
Anthem's claims rep was quite sympathetic and helpful with the first one where we did the 3 way call. Factual, but no coldness or brush off, gave the precise way to answer the concern at Anthem, have ER doc or RN in charge at that hour contact them for further info. Getting the doc or nurse to do that is the challenge.

A lot of facilities and providers are aggressively (read:falsely) billing ED charges. Recently helped my sister with a claim where the facility billed 99282 and the physician 99284. Given the dx code, that throws up a red flag.

A lot of claims adjudication is automated, or kicks certain things to a queue for manual review.

Visiting the emergency room at 9 a.m. on Tuesday for a cold will also raise a red flag, if the plan is aggressive about these issues. Most plans just tag them with a much higher co-pay for those situations.

I assume DX code means diagnosis. Not knowing what the numbers mean, I can't entirely figure out why it's a red flag.

Does anyone think it would help, if at all possible, for the person to call the carrier's nurse on call line before going to the ER? Would that in the file give the visit more of a green light with claims?

Trying to anticipate issues, can't always, but where possible, it's a good thing.

I assume DX code means diagnosis. Not knowing what the numbers mean, I can't entirely figure out why it's a red flag.

Does anyone think it would help, if at all possible, for the person to call the carrier's nurse on call line before going to the ER? Would that in the file give the visit more of a green light with claims?

Trying to anticipate issues, can't always, but where possible, it's a good thing.

Sounds like a catch-22 to me. If you have time to call the nurse line, it must not be an emergency, denied! If you don't call the nurse line, you didn't get pre-approval, denied!

I don't know what the nurse on call lines do now that might be different than the past. I recall about 10 years ago calling about something, and the series of questions asked/answered was used to recommend I go to the ER.

ICD-9 is the standard diagnostic coding used by providers and carriers.

CPT-4 is the treatment code.

If ICD-9 is for a sprain then it's a non-emergency in most cases. If it is for chest pains, it is an emergency.

Back