(1st Yr Agent) when Do I Know It's Time to Increase Leads or Hire an Appointment Setter? Smartests W

Stay100

Expert
So I got my license last July and started working for American Income (AIL). WHAT A JOKE OF A COMPANY! The only thing that place did for me, was to get me into the industry. I starting working as an independent broker the first week of November. I'm currently at 85% (soon 90%) commision. I have two agents under me and two people above me (my upline ). I'm on a lead program, 20 DM leads for $400 per week (Hence the 85% commision). I'm doing very well (for a first year agent), depending on the city/town I'm closing 20-25%+ of my leads. Lately, it's been closer to 20% due to to being in a very urban area and getting leads that don't speak English. My average AP per sale is definitely higher than most FE agents, and I've only had 3 people cancel or withdrawn an app.

I have recently been looking into ways to invest into my business to increase my profits. I can either increase my dm leads with my lead program from 20 to 25 or even 30 for $20 a pop..Or I can start sending my own mail, and get out of the city,( I like the idea of having control of where im getting leads). Or i can hire an apointent setter and i can go out and DK and go to my pre set appointents 5-6 days aweek. Currently i book on mondays and wednesday calling through my leads. I will be the first to admit that im not the best on the phone with booking appointents. I am pretty good at dking though. I have been working in and around Boston lately and i find that the more urban (HOOD) the area, the harder it is to get in front of them. I stil close 80% of the people i get in front of. If i got an appointent setter i would need to increase my leads too, so that would be the most expensive option. My upline has told me that i shouldnt make any changes untill after one year, which i dont understand at all cause im doing better than most of the agents that have been selling FE for more than a year. Im always inthe top 20% week after week in my agency.

So I got my license last July and started working for American Income (AIL). WHAT A JOKE OF A COMPANY! The only thing that place did for me, was to get me into the industry. I starting working as an independent broker the first week of November. I'm currently at 85% (soon 90%) commision. I have two agents under me and two people above me (my upline ). I'm on a lead program, 20 DM leads for $400 per week (Hence the 85% commision). I'm doing very well (for a first year agent), depending on the city/town I'm closing 20-25%+ of my leads. Lately, it's been closer to 20% due to to being in a very urban area and getting leads that don't speak English. My average AP per sale is definitely higher than most FE agents, and I've only had 3 people cancel or withdrawn an app.

I have recently been looking into ways to invest into my business to increase my profits. I can either increase my dm leads with my lead program from 20 to 25 or even 30 for $20 a pop..Or I can start sending my own mail, and get out of the city,( I like the idea of having control of where im getting leads). Or i can hire an apointent setter and i can go out and DK and go to my pre set appointents 5-6 days aweek. Currently i book on mondays and wednesday calling through my leads. I will be the first to admit that im not the best on the phone with booking appointents. I am pretty good at dking though. I have been working in and around Boston lately and i find that the more urban (HOOD) the area, the harder it is to get in front of them. I stil close 80% of the people i get in front of. If i got an appointent setter i would need to increase my leads too, so that would be the most expensive option. My upline has told me that i shouldnt make any changes untill after one year, which i dont understand at all cause im doing better than most of the agents that have been selling FE for more than a year. Im always inthe top 20% week after week in my agency.

Listen to your upline. Increase leads a little at a time. Practice your phone pitch.

Sounds like you're a good agent. Take it one bite at a time.

Oh yeah, and find a better contract.

Some FMO's on this forum will give you 110% to 120% depending on the carrier and $26 to $29 leads. Your net would be much greater.

Last edited:
Well its a hell of alot better that the 40% contract i had at AIL LOL I could get a higher contract where i am at right now, if i wasnt on a fixed lead program.

Couple of HUGE red flags in your post.

1. Your on really low commission contracts. You are giving your upline $300 of your money for every $1,000 you sell. That's around $900 to $1,000 per week that you are paying him over and above what he normally gets.
2. You have agents under you and you are still new. No way in the world that is going to work out for you. You are going to lose twice as much in debt roll ups than you make on your small over rides.
3. Set cost leads are pretty standard at agencies these days. You still should be averaging 115% on your contracts and some at 120%.

Don't select IMOs on Craig's List or spammy emails. That's where you find the bad ones with the low commissions and pyramid contracting garbage.

Read through the Getting Started with FE Sales area at — Your inside track to selling more, making more and working smarter and see how much of the bad stuff sounds familiar to you.

Back