American Cars and Meeting Clients

BWB

Expert
Ohio
This might sound like it does not belong in this forum, but just follow me. My wife and I have a butcher in southern Ohio. He supplies organic beef for her restaurant. He has about 3,000 acres. We normally take her ML63 for the room. Neither one of the brothers ever said anything about it being a German vehicle. One day he asked me what I do and I told him that I am a 3rd generation insurance agent. One thing led to another and I did a needs analysis. Long story short, my commission would have been $45,000.

Well, I rolled up for my appointment in my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Everyone there seems to have a Chevy or Ford. One of the brothers met me in the drive way and told me, "Get that God D*mn Jap car out of here and don't come back." I was stunned. I did not bother telling him that the car was made in Georgetown, Kentucky or that that Ford Fusion that his wife drives was made in Mexico. I just left.

How important is having an American car? Has anything like this happened to anybody else?

I don't mind getting an American car strictly for business. That is no problem. Plus it would save me from having to rent an American car when I have to meet with various unions in northern Ohio. I was considering a Cadillac CTS. I hate to buy a car from Government Motors, but it is the only American car that I like besides the Taurus SHO. Is the Cadillac CTS too flashy?

It's weird...some customers judge you by the car you park in their drive way. If it is some compact car they will assume you are a broke-dick trying to get some money out of them. If the car is too high end, they will think you are overcharging and ripping them off.

Any input is welcome.

^^I don't know how welcome it will be but I agree with the guys that ran you off. Maybe you should sell insurance in Japan?

This might sound like it does not belong in this forum, but just follow me. My wife and I have a butcher in southern Ohio. He supplies organic beef for her restaurant. He has about 3,000 acres. We normally take her ML63 for the room. Neither one of the brothers ever said anything about it being a German vehicle. One day he asked me what I do and I told him that I am a 3rd generation insurance agent. One thing led to another and I did a needs analysis. Long story short, my commission would have been $45,000.

Well, I rolled up for my appointment in my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Everyone there seems to have a Chevy or Ford. One of the brothers met me in the drive way and told me, "Get that God D*mn Jap car out of here and don't come back." I was stunned. I did not bother telling him that the car was made in Georgetown, Kentucky or that that Ford Fusion that his wife drives was made in Mexico. I just left.

How important is having an American car? Has anything like this happened to anybody else?

I don't mind getting an American car strictly for business. That is no problem. Plus it would save me from having to rent an American car when I have to meet with various unions in northern Ohio. I was considering a Cadillac CTS. I hate to buy a car from Government Motors, but it is the only American car that I like besides the Taurus SHO. Is the Cadillac CTS too flashy?

It's weird...some customers judge you by the car you park in their drive way. If it is some compact car they will assume you are a broke-dick trying to get some money out of them. If the car is too high end, they will think you are overcharging and ripping them off.

Any input is welcome.

I would imagine in some places it matters. This is probably more true in Union country. Out here nobody cares, because there are better things to worry about then whether you car is American made. With that being said, I can understand why some feel different.

^^I don't know how welcome it will be but I agree with the guys that ran you off. Maybe you should sell insurance in Japan?

I understand your point of view. Don't be offended, but 20 years ago it was definitely appropriate and true. However, today, Toyota's made in America are made by Toyota American Manufacturing, same as Honda American Manufacturing. They are Corporations formed in the USA and are owned by shareholders. So, the Japanese thing is not like it was 20 or 30 years ago.

As far as I am concerned, I have an American Car. It was made in America and 70% of the components were made in America. In fact the only components made outside of the USA were the engine and transmission (they were made in Japan). I can tell you that this beats most Ford products and Chevrolet products.

But, the simple issue is, the "customer" had a "concept" that no amount of explanation would overcome. Now, I am compelled to get an American car made in America.

Can I get your opinion on the Cadillac CTS?

How do you feel about American cars made in Mexico and Canada, like the Ford Fusion, or Chevy Avalanche...?

Last edited:
I understand your point of view. Don't be offended, but 20 years ago it was definitely appropriate and true. However, today, Toyota's made in America are made by Toyota American Manufacturing, same as Honda American Manufacturing. They are Corporations formed in the USA and are owned by shareholders. So, the Japanese thing is not like it was 20 or 30 years ago.

Can I get your opinion on the Cadillac CTS?

How do you feel about American cars made in Mexico and Canada, like the Ford Fusion, or Chevy Avalanche...?

It's just as relevant today as it was ever was, probably moreso. Those are Japanese companies and the profits are sent back to Japan.

Any input is welcome.

You should buy American no matter what.... Even if it's more exp, breaks down sooner, isn't really made on America, cheaply made, or down right sucks.... Still buy American blindly.

So make sure ya phone, tablet, TV, computer, pager, car, home, video game system, everything is American!

:err: :nah: :twitchy :

I find American cars to be much more reliable than the rice burners. As for the other stuff, I would certainly buy everything American made if I could.

The reason I can't is because American consumers were quick to buy foreign goods and put the American manufacturers out of business. I don't think you can buy an athletic shoe anymore that's made here. New Balance was the last but now they import. The price hasn't gone down on the imports but the quality has certainly gone down.

You should buy American no matter what.... Even if it's more exp, breaks down sooner, isn't really made on America, cheaply made, or down right sucks.... Still buy American blindly.

So make sure ya phone, tablet, TV, computer, pager, car, home, video game system, everything is American!

:err: :nah: :twitchy :

stated by JD

"I find American cars to be much more reliable than the rice burners. As for the other stuff, I would certainly buy everything American made if I could."

How anybody so smart about the insurance business could be that dumb about the auto industry is just plain baffling. That statement makes you sound like a Rube. I suppose you play the banjo and own a LH life insurance policy too.

You can't fix stupid

Spoken by a true anti American worker person. I'm proud of that comment coming from you.

stated by JD

"I find American cars to be much more reliable than the rice burners. As for the other stuff, I would certainly buy everything American made if I could."

How anybody so smart about the insurance business could be that dumb about the auto industry is just plain baffling. That statement makes you sound like a Rube. I suppose you play the banjo and own a LH life insurance policy too.

You can't fix stupid

Those are Japanese companies and the profits are sent back to Japan.
True that, but the profits that go back are minuscule compared to the wages paid to their American worker persons - which they spend - creating even more in the economy. It's not about where the profits (very small on a percentage basis) go, it's about the velocity of money!

Back