Call Backs...again and Again and Again

cdsnuts

Guru
100+ Post Club
So I'm just curious as to what the general consensus is here when you get people on the phone that would like a call back at a later time. While I don't mind doing one call back, sometimes you can get a feel for the person on the phone when it comes to this.

When I was green in the business I would make "phone appointments" and call people back on the exact day and time they specified only to get pushed out to another time, and then another time, etc. Usually these people are nothing but time wasters.

We all know how "busy" these seniors are, where if they have a doctors appointment on Thursday and you're calling them on Monday, their whole week is shot because of it.

I found myself trashing alot of leads today because of this very thing. If I can't book them this week, unless they have a legitimate reason, I usually bin the whole lead.

What do you guys do with these?

So I'm just curious as to what the general consensus is here when you get people on the phone that would like a call back at a later time. While I don't mind doing one call back, sometimes you can get a feel for the person on the phone when it comes to this.

When I was green in the business I would make "phone appointments" and call people back on the exact day and time they specified only to get pushed out to another time, and then another time, etc. Usually these people are nothing but time wasters.

We all know how "busy" these seniors are, where if they have a doctors appointment on Thursday and you're calling them on Monday, their whole week is shot because of it.

I found myself trashing alot of leads today because of this very thing. If I can't book them this week, unless they have a legitimate reason, I usually bin the whole lead.

Just knock on their door, you know? This is the way of the business. If the seniors keep telling you they are busy, you have not built a rapport.

Are you setting appointments? If so, there is no need to call them back. It might be how you are doing your script. I am controlling the conversation when I am setting appointments, so I am done with them in just a few minutes and have an appointment set.

I don't see how they can tell me to call them another time during my script. I can see them telling me that an appointment tomorrow is not good. Then I just treat that as a smoke screen and overcome it. "Oh you have a doctors appointment tomorrow? Is it in the morning or afternoon? Oh morning...that is great! I have a 4:00 available and can swing by then. Am I looking for a house or apartment?"

Just knock on their door, you know? This is the way of the business. If the seniors keep telling you they are busy, you have not built a rapport.

I guess that's what happens when I'm making phone calls and posting at the same time.....I wasn't clear....at all.

I do door knock. 50% of my sales come from door knocking. But I always run through the leads and book what I can first, then knock the doors in between appointments. This works well.

I meant in general, when you get people like this.... I have no problem booking stops and this doesn't happen all that often, so it's not like it's a problem that I have consistently.

I was just curious as to what other people do with these types. Like I said, I just throw them out if I sense I smoke screen.

----------

Are you setting appointments? If so, there is no need to call them back. It might be how you are doing your script. I am controlling the conversation when I am setting appointments, so I am done with them in just a few minutes and have an appointment set.

I don't see how they can tell me to call them another time during my script. I can see them telling me that an appointment tomorrow is not good. Then I just treat that as a smoke screen and overcome it. "Oh you have a doctors appointment tomorrow? Is it in the morning or afternoon? Oh morning...that is great! I have a 4:00 available and can swing by then. Am I looking for a house or apartment?"

I know exactly what you're saying. But I'm sure you have those folks that just can't commit to a time every once in awhile....it's almost like why did they even bother sending the card in type people.

You know...the ones that are like..."you're coming here"..."I just want the information." "oh I'm busy all week" blah, blah, blah. I bin these. I was just wondering if other people do something else with them...if other people bother with them.

I guess that's what happens when I'm making phone calls and posting at the same time.....I wasn't clear....at all.

I do door knock. 50% of my sales come from door knocking. But I always run through the leads and book what I can first, then knock the doors in between appointments. This works well.

I meant in general, when you get people like this.... I have no problem booking stops and this doesn't happen all that often, so it's not like it's a problem that I have consistently.

I was just curious as to what other people do with these types. Like I said, I just throw them out if I sense I smoke screen.

----------

I know exactly what you're saying. But I'm sure you have those folks that just can't commit to a time every once in awhile....it's almost like why did they even bother sending the card in type people.

You know...the ones that are like..."you're coming here"..."I just want the information." "oh I'm busy all week" blah, blah, blah. I bin these. I was just wondering if other people do something else with them...if other people bother with them.

People that refuse to see you usually have a reason...and that reason is usually because they KNOW they don't know how to say NO! They know if you come out there that they will end up buying something.

When they can't commit to a time, I just show up when I'm free during the week. Hard to say you won't be home when I am staring at you :)

I've been running into this lately door knocking. Knock on door. Son or daughter says who is it without opening the door. I tell them i need to speak to their mother or father. They ask me without opening the door what does this pertain to. I tell them they filled out a card for info on a final expense plan and i need to talk to the person.. They tell me they're not interested. Same thing happens if a wife or husband answers and i show them the card that was filled out. Sometimes they'll say hold on and come back 10 seconds later and say the spouse who filled it out is not interested. How do you overcome this at the door? I thought about saying this is a personal matter and i must talk to the person who filled it out. But i could see backlash when that person comes to the door and feels they were tricked.How does anyone on here handle those situations?

I've been running into this lately door knocking. Knock on door. Son or daughter says who is it without opening the door. I tell them i need to speak to their mother or father. They ask me without opening the door what does this pertain to. I tell them they filled out a card for info on a final expense plan and i need to talk to the person.. They tell me they're not interested. Same thing happens if a wife or husband answers and i show them the card that was filled out. Sometimes they'll say hold on and come back 10 seconds later and say the spouse who filled it out is not interested. How do you overcome this at the door? I thought about saying this is a personal matter and i must talk to the person who filled it out. But i could see backlash when that person comes to the door and feels they were tricked.How does anyone on here handle those situations?

I simply say I am there about information they requested recently...tell them it will only take a couple minutes.

As far as the spouse thing...that is usually very simple. If Mary answers the door, I say "Hey MARY is John around?" I always ask for whoever didn't answer the door. This allows me to get around one leggers and also Mary will just assume I know John somehow.

Yes i do that . 95% of the time i find when I ask for John then Mary will immediately say what is this about.If i use your line of iit's info they requested then they ask what type of info. She's a gatekeeper.So she might go pretend like she's going to get John and comes back and says he's not interested.Are you showing them the card at the door?Believe me i've door knocked a ton and am good at it but the gatekeeper person is tough. I've turned up the agreesiveness many times and they people tell me to get lost.

Some of them are lost causes, dare we ask "I actually need to see John if that's the case have him come to the door please?"

I also tried to be as vague as possible regardless who is at the door. I also don't speak to people in specifics that won't open the door.

"Ms Mary!"
"Who is it?" Yelling through the door
"Ms Mary!"

Shut up and wait for them to come to the door no matter how many times they yell back back, most will come out due to pure curiosity.

Yes i do that . 95% of the time i find when I ask for John then Mary will immediately say what is this about.If i use your line of iit's info they requested then they ask what type of info. She's a gatekeeper.So she might go pretend like she's going to get John and comes back and says he's not interested.Are you showing them the card at the door?Believe me i've door knocked a ton and am good at it but the gatekeeper person is tough. I've turned up the agreesiveness many times and they people tell me to get lost.

You've done this long enough to know you can't sell them all. But I don't show the lead card if it is not the person I need at the door. A lot of this depends on the agent though. Once I knock, I back up and I am usually looking at something outside (the plants, statues, anything). Then when they answer the door, I immediately bring those things up. Mary opens door..."Mary I love this plant! What type of plant is it? Oh that's nice! Are they hard to keep alive because me and my wife are HORRIBLE at keeping plants alive........." Their walls usually come down while they are talking about their plants, then I simply ask Is John around by chance?

I come off as very non salesy(?) and usually lower their guard. But again, there is nothing we can tell you that will work for EVERY single client....but I get in more doors than not.

Back