Calling for Appointments

I'm calling for appointments for my DM leads. Only reason I'm calling is because I can't seem to find some folks home or they are in an apt. building and I have to be let in.
I've run into a few calls today that the person on the lead card only wants a quote on the phone, they don't let people into their house etc.
I don't give quotes on the phone, and I only call to set an appointment. I know better than to get into a presentation and try to sell on the phone.
How do some of the more experienced agents handle this objection??
Do you go ahead and give a price or mail them info?

Another objection I've run into today is "call back next week".

I'm calling for appointments for my DM leads. Only reason I'm calling is because I can't seem to find some folks home or they are in an apt. building and I have to be let in.
I've run into a few calls today that the person on the lead card only wants a quote on the phone, they don't let people into their house etc.
I don't give quotes on the phone, and I only call to set an appointment. I know better than to get into a presentation and try to sell on the phone.

Sounds like you need training. If you send me a recording of you on the phone setting appointments, I would be able to help. This is the ONLY guaranteed way to find out what's going on....

If you're trying to set appointments in a Big City, then there probably isn't much anyone can do for you...

Is it appropriate to meet anywhere else aside from their home? Maybe they are embarrassed of their home? Usually non willingness to meet in person is a sign of no interest or not much of it.

If they give you a specific time to call back next week day and time then I might follow up. If they say just call whenever well mehh... sometimes it takes 2-3 phone calls to get an appointment. An appointment to set an appointment :)

I have written some of my best apps at Mcdonalds, if they show up they are pretty much a lay down. Yesterday met a lady at McD's because she has a mean dog. Slam dunk!

I have written some of my best apps at Mcdonalds, if they show up they are pretty much a lay down. Yesterday met a lady at McD's because she has a mean dog. Slam dunk!

It's funny how we all have AMAZINGLY different experiences. I have gotten stood up so many times at libaries (lol), McDonalds, etc. that I now will tell them that if they want to meet anywhere other than home, it's fine but they will need to bring along any current life insurance policies and a voided check or savings account number. Just in case they see a burial plan that works for them. So, basically now I never meet anyone anywhere but home. Out of 20 or so "meetings" I have sold one at McDonald's. I'd rather fill that time slot with a different appt. But that's the way it is for ME in MY AREA.

I've met 1 at a waffle shop who bought
One at a publix food court, she was a TIO all the way...lonely complainer with an admitted pack rat house....why she went out of her way to waste my time idk...she even apologized for wasting my time because she knew what she was doing.
And then she mailed in another card!

Yesterday was just an unusual day I guess. I did suggest meeting somewhere else but they both said no. One lady said " if you can't give me a price on the phone, then we ain't never gonna meet".
As the first respondent said, I probably do need a little training to fine tune my approach.
Just getting a little tired of bouncing around door knocking and not finding anyone home.
That's why I did some calling

Yesterday was just an unusual day I guess. I did suggest meeting somewhere else but they both said no. One lady said " if you can't give me a price on the phone, then we ain't never gonna meet".
As the first respondent said, I probably do need a little training to fine tune my approach.
Just getting a little tired of bouncing around door knocking and not finding anyone home.
That's why I did some calling

Quoting on the phone is useless 99% of the time. But occasionally, as a last resort, it will work on those who will not agree to an appointment after all efforts have been exhausted. I have written a few over the years by giving a quote as a very last resort, and only after explaining the difference in what I offer vs. AARP and others who they may compare mine to. I had rather take a chance on it that give up.
Everyone needs to have a company that allows the app to be mailed for wet signature or one that you can do a 3 way call just for that rare occasion

Last edited:

I'll second the need for training. But you also need experience and that just has to come.

But, you will never set tham all. I had one today where the lady said she didn't want a home visit. I asked her if she didn't want to know her optins now and she said she did but no one was coming to her home for it.

I told her that was the only was I worked and asked if she would like me to throw her info away. She said yes and I dropped it in the trash and went on to next.

I have just done the appointment over the phone a few times in the past but I've been doing this long enough to read the situation.

Never heard of an agent that gets appointments on 100% of the leads.

Back