Which Carriers Pick from List

doco

Expert
I want to fill my tool bag with carriers that would provide me with the tools necessary to to help anyone I come across with good carriers that have a low chance of being replaced. Many people here deal with a TON of carriers and I would sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Yes I have my up-line as support. I am just one of those who would rather hear from more than one person.

What carriers would you add to my current mix and why?

The carriers offered by my IMO:
Columbian Life - The primary. I already have.
5 Star - I have
Trinity - I have
Settlers - I have
NGL - I have

Motorists Life
Transamerica / Monutmental
Occidental (interested in the ROP term)
Kemper

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I want to fill my tool bag with carriers that would provide me with the tools necessary to to help anyone I come across with good carriers that have a low chance of being replaced. Many people here deal with a TON of carriers and I would sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Yes I have my up-line as support. I am just one of those who would rather hear from more than one person.

5 Star - I have
Trinity - I have
Settlers - I have
NGL - I have

Motorists Life
Kemper

My two cents which aint worth 2 cents but you asked:

Dump Columbia as a go to - keep for back up with their cheap term kid riders when necessary - although I always push for individual whole policy on kids

5 star - Fine...good rates, fast POS approvals, takes DE

Trinity - Have heard nothing but good things - Move this on closer to a go to, they also take DE

Settlers - Love hate relationship...good for young fat folks

NGL - Higher priced GI carrier but they do take DE, use for GI when payment method must be DE

Dump motorist
Dump Occidental
Keep Kemper - Better than average chargeback policy for GI business
Transamerica - Most like them, Im on the fence, just started taking DE, but no POS, so I dont write them

I would add:

Security National: Competitive rates, takes DE, has great ROP product

Amcon: Name recognition associated with Aetna - fast POS approvals- offers 3 levels of coverage

Foresters - Great rates, nice fraternal, 3 levels of coverage, fast POS approvals

RNA - Not the lowest pricing but one of the best in FE, fast POS approvals, great for people on multiple meds

Oxford/CF - Great rates, POS approvals, phone interviews can be tough, place most healthy clients here

There is my 2 cents....and worth every penny:D

5 Star - I have
Trinity - I have
Settlers - I have
NGL - I have

Motorists Life
Kemper

I would pick up Gerber for your GI. You would rarely ever write NGL when you have Settlers Bronze which is cheaper and pays you much better. But use Gerber if you need a low price GI.

Motorist is decline city. Pretty useless unless they have made big changes recently.

I would get Assurity for the non-smoking COPD cases and the non-med term.

You have a pretty strong line up now though. I would lead with one of the competitive priced companies like 5-Star or Oxford. I like to use Settlers anywhere that they fit (never with insulin diabetics).

Don't forget Americo -- COPD coverage is better for smokers with them versus Transamerica, plus you can have a combination of health issues and still get UP2, versus only one with TA Standard.

5Star is pretty-much useless beyond Graded coverage and plastic business. I maintain it's harder to get Preferred coverage with 5Star than Graded Coverage.

Make sure you have Lafayette Life and/or Standard Life to replace competitively-priced carriers, or if you want to sell a competitive paid-up policy (Lafayette only).

Transamerica is a good all-around carrier, with no height-weight chart, flexible underwriting and prescription acceptance. Just scrub that app 3 times over before you send it. Also keep in mind that over 80 applicants are paid full commission (many carriers dock your comp on old people).

Royal Neighbors is another all-around solid, bread-and-butter carrier.

Security National -- good for plastic. Good for the very sick and the very healthy -- not really a good middle-ground option.

Beyond that, having 10 or so carriers, you're fairly capable of covering nearly everything you'd run into.

Don't forget Americo -- COPD coverage is better for smokers with them versus Transamerica, plus you can have a combination of health issues and still get UP2, versus only one with TA Standard. 5Star is pretty-much useless beyond Graded coverage and plastic business. I maintain it's harder to get Preferred coverage with 5Star than Graded Coverage. Make sure you have Lafayette Life and/or Standard Life to replace competitively-priced carriers, or if you want to sell a competitive paid-up policy (Lafayette only). Transamerica is a good all-around carrier, with no height-weight chart, flexible underwriting and prescription acceptance. Just scrub that app 3 times over before you send it. Also keep in mind

The main problem with 5 star is no matter how minor the depression its graded. Other carriers like snl unless it's severe depression its preferred.So with so many people on depression meds it knocks a ton of people out.Ive also noticed with trans even though the client can answer no to the questions to head off problems with a potential phone interview I still list the meds anyway.

Last edited:
Don't forget Americo -- COPD coverage is better for smokers with them versus Transamerica, plus you can have a combination of health issues and still get UP2, versus only one with TA Standard. 5Star is pretty-much useless beyond Graded coverage and plastic business. I maintain it's harder to get Preferred coverage with 5Star than Graded Coverage. Make sure you have Lafayette Life and/or Standard Life to replace competitively-priced carriers, or if you want to sell a competitive paid-up policy (Lafayette only). Transamerica is a good all-around carrier, with no height-weight chart, flexible underwriting and prescription acceptance. Just scrub that app 3 times over before you send it. Also keep in mind

The main problem with 5 star is no matter how minor the depression its graded. Other carriers like snl unless it's severe depression its preferred.So with so many people on depression meds it knocks a ton of people out.Ive also noticed with trans even though the client can answer no to the questions to head off problems with a potential phone interview I still list the meds anyway.

FYI -- from an internal source -- when you list meds on the Supplemental Page, it takes otherwise NBJet business out of queue and lengthens the time to issue the policy, as an underwriter must purposely review the meds.

Dump Columbia as a go to - keep for back up with their cheap term kid riders when necessary - although I always push for individual whole policy on kids

Trinity - Have heard nothing but good things - Move this on closer to a go to, they also take DE

NGL - Higher priced GI carrier but they do take DE, use for GI when payment method must be DE

Dump motorist
Dump Occidental
Transamerica - Most like them, Im on the fence, just started taking DE, but no POS, so I dont write them

I would add:

Amcon: Name recognition associated with Aetna - fast POS approvals- offers 3 levels of coverage

Foresters - Great rates, nice fraternal, 3 levels of coverage, fast POS approvals

RNA - Not the lowest pricing but one of the best in FE, fast POS approvals, great for people on multiple meds

Oxford/CF - Great rates, POS approvals, phone interviews can be tough, place most healthy clients here

You are selling yourself short.. I think that is a whole nickel's worth. :yes:

Dump motorist
Dump Occidental

I would add:

Thank you! I failed to mention the list I provided is all I get to pick from :/

----------

Transamerica is a good all-around carrier, with no height-weight chart, flexible underwriting and prescription acceptance. Just scrub that app 3 times over before you send it. Also keep in mind that over 80 applicants are paid full commission (many carriers dock your comp on old people).

I'm loving the no height-weight chart! Thanks! Wish I had that last week.
I'll have to see what their smoking COPD rates are. 5 star and trinity are completely out of the park.

Thank you! I failed to mention the list I provided is all I get to pick from :/

----------

I'm loving the no height-weight chart! Thanks! Wish I had that last week.
I'll have to see what their smoking COPD rates are. 5 star and trinity are completely out of the park.

RNA has no build chart either and much easier to deal with than Trans.

And you obviously need a new IMO if those are the only choices you have.

Back