Changing from Captive Agent to Independent FE Agent

KINGBICHO

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Has anyone here been successful enough to change careers from working for captive insurance companies to becoming an independent final expense agent? If so, any advice or suggestions?

Most people start as a captive agent for the support, mentoring, training, and to learn the business in general. When they have got the hang of their niches in the field and have a solid Business Plan they venture out into the independent arena.
Advice/Suggestions: Before venturing independent have a business model done in detail....Marketing, Contracts with carriers/imo's, start up costs, ect.... People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan!

Sometimes, it can seem daunting to move independent. Take into consideration the PAY OFF versus the RISK. Is the payoff worth the risk?

Also, make sure you have a plan. Find some mentors who have been successful as independents and find out what they did.

Wisdom.

I don't believe I'd be in the business today had I not started out as a captive agent. ONE of MANY ways to have a successful transition would be to get on board w/ a good lead company w/ fair contracts. Get on board under someone who you FEEL will help you along the way in the beginning, and then PRAY you survive the onslaught!

So far I found someone decent enough with the contracts. It is a shell shock since that once steady captive income is gone. But having a positive attitude goes a long way, I believe I will succeed. I have to, I have no choice....thanks

Back