Checking Account Numbers. What Now ?

noah

Guru
1000 Post Club
I'm working in a new area and suddenly I'm running into strange account numbers that throw me off. I'm getting clients with account numbers with 6 numbers,then a watermark,then 4 more numbers,than another watermark,the 2 more numbers....then the check number.
I recently had one come back from Settlers as "incorrect account " number on the 1st draft 22 days after the policy became effective. They wanted to speak to the client and by this time needed to double draft. The client didn't have the money,so you know the rest of the story. I was unsure about the account number,so I wrote in on the "agent remarks " section of the app about my uncertainty of the account number thinking they had my back. They have the signed authorization with their name on it and a copy of the check.
Seems like there has to be a better way to handle this,prevent these mishaps in the future.
Any ideas ?
What would you do ?

I'm working in a new area and suddenly I'm running into strange account numbers that throw me off. I'm getting clients with account numbers with 6 numbers,then a watermark,then 4 more numbers,than another watermark,the 2 more numbers....then the check number. I recently had one come back from Settlers as "incorrect account " number on the 1st draft 22 days after the policy became effective. They wanted to speak to the client and by this time needed to double draft. The client didn't have the money,so you know the rest of the story. I was unsure about the account number,so I wrote in on the "agent remarks " section of the app about my uncertainty of the account number thinking they had my back. They have the signed authorization with their name on it and a copy of the check. Seems like there has to be a better way to handle this,prevent these mishaps in the future. Any ideas ? What would you do ?

Call the bank with the client is the best way.

Routing # is always 9 digits. Check# is usually at the end. Should be everything in between. Might have to ask for a bank statement. Deposit slips only have the routing and checking#'s, but, of course, these are seldom used by FE clients unless their relatives get the "BIG" Check from settlers.

:twitchy:

Last edited:
Ok,let's see who else answers the question without reading the op's question carefully or we can see who highjacks the thread with funny jokes,it's getting late.

This particular bank won't even give you the routing number over the phone.
What's method would one use on the spot to identify the account number with certainty ?
Please read the original post carefully before answering the question.
Thanks.

This particular bank won't even give you the routing number over the phone.
What's method would one use on the spot to identify the account number with certainty ?
Please read the original post carefully before answering the question.
Thanks.

Your kidding the routing number is public info. If I had a question like that at 7pm I would leave the routing and account number blank but get everything else signed and look up the routing # online subtract out the routing number and check number and you should be left with the account number.

Back