DEALING with Apartments with Security Buzzers!

I've run income filters In heavily populated areas and the downside is many of the people ACTUALLY HAVE JOBS . This means a lot of people aren't home during the day. Income filters and age band limits in rural areas means working large large areas to get enough leads. Everything has its positives and negatives.

I don't understand the hate for 'inner city.' I'd rather have all 20 leads within a 10 block radius then drive 10-20min between doors. Guess you just have to find what works for you but I don't sell as good in the sticks.

I am really struggling with NOT being able to show DM reply leads their actual reply card when doork-nocking....Because, God forbid they should actually answer their phones! Anyone have any helpful or creative suggestions???

This is where a good up line comes in and saves the day.

Our agents get assistance from me as to the best zip codes and counties near them, to sell final expense.

Heck, we even have a video on our website that teaches you how to find those cherry areas so you can avoid the nonsense like gated communities, condos, rich aholes, etc... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!.......any other ideas are welcome! I have been really struggling to make contact because out of 228 leads in 11 weeks.... 109 have been to security buzzered Senior apts!!! Only 50% ACTUALLY PICK UP THEIR PHONE.....but, I have managed to write a little over $20K of A/P, so far! However, I know I could easily DOUBLE my production if I could make contact!:idea:
If your lead vendor allows it... Dint mail apartment complexes

You could leave a sticky delivery notice in their mail box with your phone number.

Leave a message like this "hey it's James, I have been trying to get ahold of Ruth. Please call me back at xxxxxxxxxx" Also text then to call you. These ideas are not the norm and I would only use them as a last ditch effort instead of trashing a hundred leads. Then to keep from getting right back into this boat I would change my order

Last edited:
Once you have a client in a building like that Use them as you're in for that building the next time you get to lead there. Stop and have a small conversation and you're already in the building to get to the next place you're going.

I think most agents don't like working sec 8 housing complex's, which is what many of them are. I kind of use them as a motivational tool. Many of are easy to write, and of course many of them will fall off the books.

But your still Scratching the pad. It can raise your spirits when moving on to the next one. And yes some of them do stay on the books and they are also good for referrals.

Be creative when attempting to get in. Walk in behind someone. Or stand there on the building phone and fake like your talking to some one. When some one goes in or comes out say I'll be right up, hang up and walk in. Act like your supposed to be there.

Act like your supposed to be there.

The older I get, the less trouble I have getting in. Because I actually look like I'm supposed to be there!

Seriously, though, if you're in a city with active debit agents, they're used to the Insurance Man coming into the building to see his clients. So, if you look the part, people will actually hold the door for you or swipe their own key card to help you get in.

Last edited:
Following someone in is good, but if the building has security in the lobby (like many here in Philly), don't get cute with them as they don't suffer fools well. Just straight up try bribing them with some booze or maybe a gas card or something.:idea:

p.s.- Bribes are effective with some people but pay them after you sell, not before.:no:

Get a list of non responders to your DM, and DK the residential ones there. Show them what YOU sent THEM. And have a nice conversation .

Following someone in is good, but if the building has security in the lobby (like many here in Philly), don't get cute with them as they don't suffer fools well. Just straight up try bribing them with some booze or maybe a gas card or something.:idea:

p.s.- Bribes are effective with some people but pay them after you sell, not before.:no:

LOL! I've rarely had trouble with lobby security. They're used to all kinds of people coming & going. I usually greet who's at the desk & tell them "I'm here to see John Doe in Apt 1111. I'm his insurance agent." Some of these have sign in sheets. If that's the case, I don't go into the who & why. That's all on the sheet. Under "Purpose of visit", I just write "insurance". I just sign in & head for the elevator. If they ask for ID, I show them my Driver's license & give them a business card. Like NFL said, act like you're supposed to be there. They'll assume you have an appointment. Sometimes after seeing my business card they even ask me for a quote for themselves! (And, of course, if they don't ask me, I ask them!)

Back