Delivery

Mavrik

Guru
100+ Post Club
Since delivery is never talked about on the forum, it would be easy for a new agent to think another meeting with the recent client so soon after they have already bought, to be overkill and one of the least important aspects of the sale.

However, I think differently and prefer to deliver policies by hand to my clients as much as possible. For those of you who believe in delivering policies, how do you approach it as part of your overall system? What are you there to accomplish and what is your language for doing so?

Since delivery is never talked about on the forum, it would be easy for a new agent to think another meeting with the recent client so soon after they have already bought, to be overkill and one of the least important aspects of the sale.

However, I think differently and prefer to deliver policies by hand to my clients as much as possible. For those of you who believe in delivering policies, how do you approach it as part of your overall system? What are you there to accomplish and what is your language for doing so?

I have always preferred to deliver policies. I use the time to solidify the sale by remiinding the client of the benefits of the policy, its limitations and the reason they purchased it. Then I follow up asking about other needs they might have in order to possibly cross sell. I finish the call by asking for referrals since I seldom ask for referrals at the time of sale. Since I do not normally run leads, I need to make use of other prospecting methods as much as possible.

You're overthinking it. I deliver policies. I tell them at the write that I will deliver it. In replacement situations I ask them if the other agent delivered or if they got it in the mail. They all say they got it in the mail.

That's just one step in separating myself from other agents. On delivery I just carry the policies with me the next time I'm in the area. I call them the day before and tell them I'll be dropping it by. Delivery takes less than 5 minutes.

I'll add that some companies work against the agent that delivers. Trinity is one. I've had to have them start mailing direct to the clients if the first draft is less than 3 weeks out.

They have these asinine delivery rules and will not draft the client until they have the delivery receipt back. And they won't process the delivery receipt that you send back for several days. So even if you get the receipt back to the company before the first scheduled draft they may not process it before the draft and the draft doesn't take place.

It's as if they don't want agents delivering policies?? SNL has a similar rule but they won't hold up the person's draft like that.

They really couldn't since they don't even print a policy until after the person pays.

Where companies come up with rules like that is just far beyond my ability to understand.

Last edited:
For those of you who believe in delivering policies, how do you approach it as part of your overall system? What are you there to accomplish and what is your language for doing so?

My wife delivers just about all of her policies. When she makes the sale, she let's them know that she will be back to go over everything in black and white. It's a great way to build rapport! When she calls to do the delivery, she congratulates them on getting approved and let's them know that they are in great health!

The ideal is to make the call exciting so that even if they were thinking about canceling, they would still at least see her again!

When she goes back, she lets them know that it's really nice that they love their family enough to take care of this and not be a dead beat!

FYI, she doesn't say "dead beat", actually she doesn't even know what that means! lol

Seems like it would be hard to find the time if you're a really big producer. How some of the big dogs here can do 10k+ weekly and deliver policies I have no idea.

Deliver Policies??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRM5WK1t9rA

Seems like it would be hard to find the time if you're a really big producer. How some of the big dogs here can do 10k+ weekly and deliver policies I have no idea.

You have a good point here, I deliver where it is possible most times as it helps in my conservation and you can ask for referrals at that time too.
But as you say I wonder how the top dogs except JD does it.
Then again some company need the delivery receipt else no policy.

You have a good point here, I deliver where it is possible most times as it helps in my conservation and you can ask for referrals at that time too. But as you say I wonder how the top dogs except JD does it. Then again some company need the delivery receipt else no policy.

I don't know if I'm considered a top-dog or not but I do not deliver policies. Here's my thoughts behind that decision.

I feel if I do a good enough presentation and build enough good rapport the first time, then there's no reason for me to try and re-convince them a month later on policy delivery.

That takes time out of my schedule from gaining NEW clients.

I just got back from my European trip that I won with TRINITY and my persistency had to be OVER 85% in order to win. So persistency is not an issue with me and never has been using this strategy.

And I am not sure what state you are in or what carriers you write business with, but I do not have to get policy delivery receipts signed.

You can also ask for referrals the first time you're in the home. You don't need two visits to do that.

Being efficient with my time is of the utmost importance for my business. This is another reason I like to do telephone interviews. Because I like to know before I go and I want my client to hear for themselves that they were approved. I do not want to find out a week later that my client was rated up or declined and have to hunt that client down a second time because there is no guarantee you'll ever get in front of them again. This is why carriers like Trinity and Forester's are my go to carriers. They fit into my system of doing business.

Not saying my way is the best way BUT it's the way I roll.

Seems a good middle ground would be to have the policy delivered to the agent, then repackage it with a thank you card, business card, brochure, etc. and send it out to your client. They will be able to tell it's personally sent by you and not just some generic delivery from the main company and I think that would mean a little something to them.

Back