Direct Mail - How Much is "alot"

Cyborg7

Guru
100+ Post Club
For just one agent do you consider 10,000 pieces per month "alot" ?

Or what do you consider to be a large amount of DM per month ?

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks if it's producing the results you desire.
Start with how many leads you want/need to work every month and then work backwards to determine how many pieces you need to drop to achieve that goal. If you don't know what return to expect from a specific lead piece in your area, then ask the lead vendor and they should be able to give you a pretty good idea of how that piece has pulled in the past.

You may have more leads than you know what to do with if you are using a generic piece and pulling 2-3%, or you may not have enough leads if you use a tight piece that gets less than1%.

I would advise against just making blind lead drops without having a reasonable expectation of what to expect in return. Develop a plan based on what you want/need, then adjust it as necessary.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks if it's producing the results you desire. Start with how many leads you want/need to work every month and then work backwards to determine how many pieces you need to drop to achieve that goal. If you don't know what return to expect from a specific lead piece in your area, then ask the lead vendor and they should be able to give you a pretty good idea of how that piece has pulled in the past. You may have more leads than you know what to do with if you are using a generic piece and pulling 2-3%, or you may not have enough leads if you use a tight piece that gets less than1%. I would advise against just making blind lead drops without having a reasonable expectation of what to expect in return. Develop a plan based on what you want/need, then adjust it as necessary.

Do you drop generic mail, or a piece that's a little more specific? I know you drop A LOT of mail.

Do you drop generic mail, or a piece that's a little more specific? I know you drop A LOT of mail.

I use a generic piece. Years ago I would use the "life insurance" lead as a crutch, but then came to the conclusion my closing % wasn't any better and my ROI was actually worse with a more specific lead.

In my opinion, if the lead says life insurance on it, you will miss out on a lot of people that think, "I already have life insurance", and I still want the opportunity to get in front of those people.

Now my focus is just getting the best return.
That's within reason of course, I wouldn't mail an incentivized lead (wal mart GC, etc.).

Yep, there is definitely nothing wrong with using a more generic lead. In my first year, that is all the wife and I used. It's not a bad idea to drop a different lead every now and then in order to attract different buyers.

Back