Disclosure

TPAAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a 40 year old female client that had a kidney removed 12 years ago from a rare disease- She's never taken medicine for removal nor currently on any kidney meds or dialysis- never has been- There's one carrier app that truthfully I could answer No to all the questions, others ask "ever" which I would have to answer yes to. My question is... Some ask in the agent statements if there's any conditions not mentioned that I know of.. this app does not ask that on the agent statement... If I truthfully answer all the questions No on the application am I being dishonest?

Answer the questions as the app states. Either she qualifies or she doesn't. Simplified issue FE isn't rocket science.... Simple...

I have a 40 year old female client that had a kidney removed 12 years ago from a rare disease- She's never taken medicine for removal nor currently on any kidney meds or dialysis- never has been- There's one carrier app that truthfully I could answer No to all the questions, others ask "ever" which I would have to answer yes to. My question is... Some ask in the agent statements if there's any conditions not mentioned that I know of.. this app does not ask that on the agent statement... If I truthfully answer all the questions No on the application am I being dishonest?

Why would you feel it's dishonest? The questions exactly as they appear is what they underwrite for. Every company is different.

Answer the questions as the app states. Either she qualifies or she doesn't. Simplified issue FE isn't rocket science.... Simple...

In a perfect world this would be true. But unfortunately we aren't living in a perfect world. I don't even know the company he is considering but if a short claim occurs, my experience has shown the company will find a way to contest it.

Perhaps my past experiences are coloring my approach on this. Depositions have a way of doing this. I have learned that if anything makes me uncomfortable or unsure about a risk - ask questions and document.

I wouldn't go overboard, but a simple call to underwriting to validate the app and guidelines with an underwriter's name goes a long way in my book...

Me: Hi, this is Adam from Insurance Services in NJ. I just wanted to get a clarification on case I am considering and wanted to be sure nothing has changed since the guidelines and app I am using have been released.

Underwriting: Yes, you are using the most current information and app.

Me: Thank you, have a great day.

Now, I have third party verification documented - case closed.

In a perfect world this would be true. But unfortunately we aren't living in a perfect world. I don't even know the company he is considering but if a short claim occurs, my experience has shown the company will find a way to contest it.

Perhaps my past experiences are coloring my approach on this. Depositions have a way of doing this. I have learned that if anything makes me uncomfortable or unsure about a risk - ask questions and document.

I wouldn't go overboard, but a simple call to underwriting to validate the app and guidelines with an underwriter's name goes a long way in my book...

Me: Hi, this is Adam from Insurance Services in NJ. I just wanted to get a clarification on case I am considering and wanted to be sure nothing has changed since the guidelines and app I am using have been released.

Underwriting: Yes, you are using the most current information and app.

Me: Thank you, have a great day.

Now, I have third party verification documented - case closed.

And that person at the company will deny ever talking to you. If they can't deny talking to you they will say that you misunderstood them.

If you are going to wait out in the cold for a company to come to your defense then you will freeze to death waiting.

In a perfect world this would be true. But unfortunately we aren't living in a perfect world. I don't even know the company he is considering but if a short claim occurs, my experience has shown the company will find a way to contest it. Perhaps my past experiences are coloring my approach on this. Depositions have a way of doing this. I have learned that if anything makes me uncomfortable or unsure about a risk - ask questions and document. I wouldn't go overboard, but a simple call to underwriting to validate the app and guidelines with an underwriter's name goes a long way in my book... Me: Hi, this is Adam from Insurance Services in NJ. I just wanted to get a clarification on case I am considering and wanted to be sure nothing has changed since the guidelines and app I am using have been released. Underwriting: Yes, you are using the most current information and app. Me: Thank you, have a great day. Now, I have third party verification documented - case closed.

The only situation where I would go to that extreme is if the new policy was replacing one that had been in force. For a new issued policy there is no reason to go beyond the application questions. Where would you stop? What if they had frequent kidney stones, gout, hysterectomy, fainted, 3rd degree burns?

What kind of questions would you not call on?

The application questions are what they want. But any time you are replacing, if you have doubt, make the call if you really don't understand something. But it would be just as JD said if you had a problem.

I don't know if they could successfully recend a policy if no question during the application or phone interview was answered incorrectly. They can't make up new rules as they go along.

The only situation where I would go to that extreme is if the new policy was replacing one that had been in force. For a new issued policy there is no reason to go beyond the application questions. Where would you stop? What if they had frequent kidney stones, gout, hysterectomy, fainted, 3rd degree burns?

What kind of questions would you not call on?

The application questions are what they want. But any time you are replacing, if you have doubt, make the call if you really don't understand something. But it would be just as JD said if you had a problem.

I don't know if they could successfully recend a policy if no question during the application or phone interview was answered incorrectly. They can't make up new rules as they go along.

Actually they can make up new rules as they go and they do it all the time. They will even not follow a law they don't believe in.

These mail order companies that say upfront that they will not pay during the first 2 years are probably the most honest of the bunch.

And that person at the company will deny ever talking to you. If they can't deny talking to you they will say that you misunderstood them.

If you are going to wait out in the cold for a company to come to your defense then you will freeze to death waiting.

You are 110% correct here. Insurance companies will hang their agents out to dry in a New York minute. This isn't about having the insurer coming to your defense. It's about having your E&O maintain it's defense.

If this client died during contestibility period and there is records showing kidney removal that might be a factor

Back