Disect my Day.

onefastpony

Guru
100+ Post Club
Please excuse the long post but I like to give full details.

I just ran my first full set of 15 leads and I would like a little feedback on the following scenarios and how I couldn've handled them differently. I knock all of my leads with no phone call prior. Out of the 15 leads I had 6 no contacts. Of the 9 that I did have contact with I had 2 sales equalling $1410AP. The other 7 gave some sort of excuse or another that I wasn't able to see them right then. So please, I'm going to give full details of the day and would like no BS realworld feedback. I knocked the first door at 10am and left my last presentaion at 8:38pm.

Door # 1 @ 10am
The woman ( 73 y/o) answered the door and I introduced myself and handed her the DM card. She looked it over and asked what the programs were about. I explained what they were for and she said that she already had that in place. She then went on how she couldn't afford anything more since she was on a fixed income. I forgot what I said next but she opened the door and let me in. (I've been meaning to carry my voice recorder with me, I just keep forgetting).

Once inside she directed my to the kitchen table and she kept saying that she couldn't afford anything more. She then said that she had hosted a party the night prior for a friend of hers who is an aspiring artist. I then began trying to find out why she had sent the card in.

I got to the reason that she currently had a plan and would like to add on to it. But, I needed to find the money for her to do that. I asked about her current coverage and she stated she had TransAmerica and she was paying $24.50 a month. I realized it had to be a pretty new policy since Trans just started doing the FE policies outside of Monumental. She then mentioned that she had a mortgage protection insurance plan and she was paying $63 a month for that. I asked her what other plan she may have and she came back with a Globe policy and a cancer policy.

All told she was paying 118 a month for only 3K of permanent coverage. The rest was term. I explained the difference and she even mentioned that her son wanted her to have whole life insurance over term. I told her the only thing I know for certain is that you will die, when, I don't know. The only guaranteed plan you have is the wholelife plan, the rest is a maybe. She decied then she wanted to change so I replaced her mortgage plan and the Trans plan, got her $14,000 coverage for $86 a month. I didn't leave her home until 1pm.

Door # 2 @ 1:15/6:08pm

Knocked at two diffent times but nobody home either time.

Door # 3

Prospect answers door and I introduce myself and hand him the card. He said he didn't know what it was about but doesn't want to buy life insurance. He said he will outlive his 94y/o mother and he has no other family. He said he could care less what happens to him.

I can't help somebody who doesn't care. How could I have handled that differently or was it pointless to try?

Door # 4 @ 1:40pm

Knocked on door and the woman (73) answered. I could hear the T.V. blaring in the background. She said today wasn't a good day that she wasn't feeling well and she didn't realize somebody would just knock on her door. She said to call back.

I feel that she is just blowing me off in regards to call me back. I can understand that I interupted her T.V. show but I did offer to come back later in the day. I think the call me back is just an easier way for her to say not interested.

What are your thougths?

Door # 5 @ 1:50p.m.

Spoke with the wife of the prospect on the card. She said they wanted to do a prepaid cremation service with Neptune Society and she wasn't interested in anything else. Very gruff woman who wouldn't listen.

How could I have handled this differently?

Door # 6 @ 2:15p.m and 6:30p.m.

Knocked the first time and nobody answered. I came back later and the prospect ( 60 y/o) was taking his trash out. He saw me pull up to his condo and he invited me in. He asked me if I was there earlier and I said yes. He apologized for not answering the door earlier but he didn't hear me knocking until after I had already gotten in my car and was pulling out of his complex. I commented on the Florida Gators since I saw he was a fan.

Once inside he offered me a beer and I politely declined. He was watching the Florida/Georgia game but he said for me to have a seat and that he really wanted to talk with me. At a commercial break he stated that he had lost his job recently and was living off of his retirement accounts but wanted a plan in place so that his family wouldn't have to bear the burden of him dying.

He stated he wanted a simple cremation. I put him in a 5K plan for $372.10AP. I mentioned about rounding up and he didn't want to.

I left his home at 8:38p.m.

Door # 7 @ 2:30p.m.

I knocked on the screen door and the husband was next door. He came over and I introduced myself and explained that his wife had requested information. He went inside and showed the card to his wife and she said that she wasn't interested. The husband came back and apologized for wasting my time. I asked if there was a better time to come back and I heard the wife in the background scream no! The husband asked for a card and that he would call me if his wife changed her mind.

What could I have done differently?

Door # 8 @ 2:45p.m

Nobody home. Wasn't able to make a second stop.

Door # 9 3:00pm

Spoke with the prospect and she that she was confused when she sent the card back in. She said that she has a cremation plan at her local funeral home that took care of her husband. She said she was happy with their service and wanted to stay put with them. She stated that she is leaving her home and belongings to her son and he will be fine without a life insurance policy.

How could I have handled that differently?

Door # 10 @ 3:15

Nobody home. I didn't get a chance to knock again.

Door # 11 @ 3:20

Spoke with daughter and she said that her parents had just left for a picknic and wasn't sure when they would be back. She asked what it was about and I explained what it is and she said that her parents have nothing in place as far as she knows. I gave her my card and said I would try to come back by, but I was not able to drop in again.

Door # 12 @ 3:45

Spoke to the prospect, she stated that she was going to be cremated like her husband and that she has a big John Hancock life policy that will handle her cremation and will be given to her children.
How could I have handled that differently?

Door # 13 @ 3:50

Nobody Home, didn't get a second chance to knock.

Door # 14 # 4:10

Spoke with the wife, She said that her husband had just gotten home from the bar from watching football and was drunk. She said she didn't want to talk to a salesman. After a minute to calm her down she mentioned that her husband has two 25K policies. She mentioned that he just was cleared from cancer and just got the new policy with a face amount of 25K and was paying $181. a month.

She mentioned that it was Colonial Penn. She then went to say that she had a Bankers Life policy but wasn't sure what type it was and what she was paying. She said that for me to come back another time when her husband isn't drunk and review their current plans. I explained that the Colonial Penn plan didn't sound like what she thought it was since he had just gotten over cancer a week prior and she said the policy was an immediate coverage.

How could I have handled this differently?

Door # 15 @ 4:42

The lead card says to come by in the evenings. I arrived at the home and there was a sign on the door stating that he was a day sleeper, hence contact during the evening on the card.

I then went to diner at Chilis.

How can I improve to increase my ability to get inside the door to increase my closing percentage???

Door 1 = Nice job on a more complicated sale.

Door 3 = You can't sell someone who's not a prospect. Only thing you could have done differently is asked if he had any existing life insurance and taken it from there.

Door 4 = Call back and set an appointment and let her say "no" to you.

Door 5 = Can't fix stupid. Next!

Door 7 = Can't fix stupid. Maybe could have asked why she sent the card in to begin with then?

Door 9 = Not a prospect. Next!

Door 12 = Could have talked to her about paid-up policies to pay for the cremation and the value of separating plans versus handing it over the a funeral home. Probably not a prospect anyway.

Door 14 = Come back when he's sober -- sounds like some good opportunity there.

All told a great day -- keep us updated on the results of your follow-up on the remaining leads.

Most of the stuff you posted are the exact reasons that I don't doorknock.

Looks like you did a good job on what you had and it's really just too small of a sample to make any judgement on.

It does seem that you are talking too much at the door and giving out too much information to people that are not decision makers.

You will learn to take more control of the circumstances but that just takes many days of getting beat up. Although most agents would take getting beat up for $1400.:biggrin:

As for the question at the end of your post, you will get inside with more interested people if you call first.

It does seem that you are talking too much at the door and giving out too much information to people that are not decision makers.

What should I say to the person when they ask what it is that I'm doing there in regards to the information that they requested?

What I use when door knocking.... ymmv

Hi my name is Jim, I'm here from Hot Springs today. A week or so ago, you mailed in the reply card to get some more information on the state regulated final expense program, ya know.... the burial insurance....??
whilst showing them the card
then I flip through the cards and say I have about 14 people to see here in BFEville, today. If you have about five minutes we can see what you qualify for.

I get in most doors with that and a smile (and short trimmed beard).

That doesn't mean I don't get the same objections once I'm in. And sometimes I'll get in and find that they aren't prospects and won't do a presentation.
I don't remember sending that in.
I didn't know they were going to send a salesman
can't you just leave me some information

With some, it doesn't matter what you say.... it ain't happenin'
But I try the usual replies like:
is this your handwriting or did your kids fill it out? do you have any coverage in place? with no pause
Well, I'm just here to answer your questions and at the end if you choose to move forward, great! If not at least your questions are answered.
My fav for the annoying ones with just leave some info.... We already SENT you info, you requested MORE INFO.... here I am. I don't use it much, got it from a post on here somewhere.

Jim

when I read that description of a day spent door knocking, it just reminds me on why I hate door knocking so much. if I had to make a living that way on a continual basis, i'd rather drive a truck

On #3, ask what will happen if he dies next week, does his mother have enough money to bury you, and if she does, does he want his mother dealing with the hassle.

Back